Lab 420 TT...Good/bad??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok...I know next to nothing about turntables. I picked up a Lab 420, sold by Radio Shack, at a thrift store for $5.00...looks like an ok unit. Direct drive, weighted tonearm, strobe speed control. It operates really nicely, sounds good, ( I'm not a highbrow type listener, but I do know crap when I hear it). I know RS never made anything of their own, so it was made by some major manufacturer...doesn't look like any low-level BSR or Garrard I have seen. Any thoughts or info on it, or any ideas where I can find info? Also, one of the spring-cushion-feetthings is broken...anywhere I can get replacements? Thanks everyone who has replied to my other threads !!!!:)

Photo

Ok...here's a photo I found of the LAB-400. Same TT except mine ( the 420 ) has automatic capabilities...record size setting too. Hopes this helps. As for the ? about rumble...do cartridges go microphonic...would a bad cartridge cause rumble ?

Attachments

• lab400uj2.jpg
    lab400uj2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 156
I have the Lab 420 and it sounds great. I put a Grado Red on it and am very impressed. I don't know who made them for Radio Shack but the Lab 400 and 420 are keepers. If you are hearing a hum it is hard to say where it is coming from, many sources possible and you will have to isolate it. A link to another's review of this TT.

Lab 420

Are Hitachi and Realistic sister companies, or the same? Realistic makes a LAB-400 and 420--I'm about to buy one tomorrow, in fact, made by Realistic. I'm not sure about the rumble. Some people argue that direct drive TT's produce a rumble or hum, but I doubt it in the case of a LAB-420. What cartridge is installed?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.