I think my cartridge is toast...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's been a while since I have done any serious vinyl listening (due mainly to laziness on my part). I have a VPI turntable with an ET-II tonearm and a Benz Micro Gold cartridge. I run the benz through a pair of Jensen step-up transformers to a counterpoint pre-amp.

The Benz used to be a refined almost polite (ok, nearly boring) cartridge. But now it sound very bright and shrill. I checked my cartridge alignment, table leveling, arm leveling, took out the jensens, tried another pre-amp, and it's always shrill. The cartridge is probably 5-7 years old.

I put in an ortofon X1-MC which is even older than the Benz in and it's much better. Comparing well recorded CD's and LP's shows very little tonal balance change with the ortofon, and brightness with the benz.

I've never had a cartridge suspension wear out, I usually wear the stylus out. But I now live in the southwest where everything dries out and blows away. So does it sound like my suspension is shot?

Both of my cartridges are long in the tooth to say the least. So if I stick with vinyl, I'm going to need a new one, any recommendations? I've always liked moving coil cartridges, and I have provisions for both high and low output. I'm also an ESL sort of guy...

Sheldon

Suspension and/or damping, no doubt about it. Even just sitting around, elastomers deteriorate, especially if you've got a lot of sulfur in the air (quite common in the Southwest).

I'm in the same boat, having used the last of my replacement styli for my beloved Technics MM and having been orphaned by Linn for getting my Troika retipped. I'm looking at Grado as a replacement.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I have heard (I cannot remember where) that most cartridges die from suspension failure. I am now very careful to keep the dustguard (almost a hermetic seal) on my Ortofon Rohmann when I'm not using it, and my turntable has a close-fitting dustcover. You just can't be too careful. I would say you have done very well, lasting six years. Get into the habit of dropping coins into a large whisky jar each time you play an LP - that way, you have a "stylus fund."

IIRC, the Garrotts died some years back. Does the company still exist? I looked into van den Hul, but the prices were high enough that I'd just go get another cartridge.

If I could find someone who does cartridge restorations on MMs, the Technics would still be my choice over the Troika.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
SY said:
IIRC, the Garrotts died some years back. Does the company still exist? I looked into van den Hul, but the prices were high enough that I'd just go get another cartridge.

Both brothers committed suicide together, but they had some well-trained apprentises that have reopened the firm -- i have a friend his is planning on sending a couple Deccas for retipping.

If I could find someone who does cartridge restorations on MMs, the Technics would still be my choice over the Troika.

The UK firm was not one i'd heard of -- and quite resonable from the story i heard. I can dig up info if you'd like.

dave

Thanks for all the feedback, I was afraid that my cartridge was toast.

I now have a decision to make...

1) I haven't been listening to much vinyl lately, so I could sell my turntable and sell or give away my 10 feet of records. Talk me into or out of this... :eek:

2) I can buy a new cartridge. Which brings up the question, which cartridge should I buy? I am not listening to vinyl as much as I should, so I don't want to spend a fortune. I'd like to find a smooth, musical and revealing cartridge at or below the $250 mark. Does such a beast exist?

BTW, thanks guys for all the input. This may be corny, but I really get a lot from this group and the help of all you guys.

Sheldon

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
stokessd said:
1) I haven't been listening to much vinyl lately, so I could sell my turntable and sell or give away my 10 feet of records. Talk me into or out of this... :eek:

Get rid of your TT? That would be crazy. Especially with 10 ft of albums. Can you actually live with just CDs? I don't think i could... they just don't sound as good.

2) I can buy a new cartridge. Which brings up the question, which cartridge should I buy? I am not listening to vinyl as much as I should, so I don't want to spend a fortune. I'd like to find a smooth, musical and revealing cartridge at or below the $250 mark. Does such a beast exist?

The baby wooden body Grado is $300 -- that is what i'm angling for.

dave

I have just been qouted Rs 8000 (US$ 170) for a Ortofon OM30 cartidge by their Indian dealer. How much does in cost in US currently? Would it be a worthwhile replacement for a 10 yrs old Shure M97? I have no significant issues with the Shure though. Perhaps I just want an 'audiophile' cartridge.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello Sheldon !

Denon have some cheap beauties, (MC) they may be low output, but if you enjoy Analogue...you might already have the right Riaa.
And they will (if any cart can) rattle the dust of your ESL's !
(And not make you feel sleepy...sleepy...sleepy...as the Glider...sorry; Benz).

Arne K
NORWAY

EC8010 said:

I have three NOS Ortofon OM30 styli, and would be prepared to sell a pair of them for £120, if you already have the OM** body.

Thanks EC8010. But I think the OM30 being offered by the dealer includes a stylus. However, I need to do a serious cost-benefit analysis prior to chucking the Shure away in favour of Ortofon. I'll get back to you on this.

not to get off topic of this thread...I have a pair of stylus`s for an AKG P8ES cartridge (super alpha nova) that I bought 15 years ago....I wonder if they are able to be retrofitted to another cartridge....I hope the moron who stole my turntable and record collection is enjoying it....Grrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I was slightly luckier

JOE DIRT® said:
I hope the moron who stole my turntable and record collection is enjoying it....Grrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

More likely, the little %^"* sold it for peanuts to buy the day's drugs fix. I lost the video and 140 CDs. If there is ever a repeat performance, the perpetrators will feel the full force of my displeasure where it hurts most.

I now rely on mass. Anyone who can run away with my loudspeakers is welcome to them (100lb each), big, and slippery. Turntable 50lb. Amplifiers range from 20lb to 112lb.

The AKG P8 was a nice cartridge...

planet10 said:

Get rid of your TT? That would be crazy. Especially with 10 ft of albums. Can you actually live with just CDs? I don't think i could... they just don't sound as good.

No probably not, but the thought did cross my mind. :eek:

The baby wooden body Grado is $300 -- that is what i'm angling for.

Back 15 years ago, I tried a number f grado cartridges, and the more expensive ones didn't really impress me more than the DJ cartridge. Also the DJ cartridge was the best tracking one I've ever seen, all the other grado cartridges had the "grado shuffle" bad.

The wooden one does give me "wood", I may just have to bite on it. I also have the option exchanging my benz for a new one for $200. But I've never been thrilled with it.

Sheldon

Philo said:
Grado has a new Statement version of the Platinum cartridge. Very nice with a low .75mV output. Very short windings too. I listened to it at a store was very impressed. More dynamic and still has great bass, though a touch less full bodied sound as the Reference version. Same price as the Reference- $269 at http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=AGRASTATEPLAT

Damnit! You're killing me with that. I was just trying to convince myself that I wanted a low output coil, and now you throw this into the mix... I think I'm going to try one of those.

I just built a nice extruded box with a pair of Jensen step-up transformers in it. Does anybody want to buy/trade for it?

Sheldon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.