grundig tk46 troubleshoot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi all, i'm new here and was wondering if someone could help me trouble shoot a grundig tk46 reel to reel player. i've always wanted a reel to reel player, but never found an affordable one. i was at a church garage sale and found a very clean tk46 for $1, i couldn't pass it up. i got it home turned it on and got an extremely loud buzz/hum from the speakers. so far the extent of my troubleshooting has been to check all the tubes and wiring and all seem to be ok. i removed the ell80 tube and the buzz went away, but i'm not sure what that tells me. if anyone has had experience with this problem or this unit i would appreciate any advice. thanks

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi thetinker

The ELL80 is a dual power pentode.

The buzz went away because you removed the active parts from the output stage (no output power more, no sound coming out) :(

My advice is to:

1. Replace the electrolytic capacitors, especially from the power supply and the cathodes of the audio section tubes. Dried out el. caps are the usual source of buzz
2. Replace the paper caps.
3. Look for shorted (to chassis) wires.
4. Look for burned-out resistors.
5. Find the wiring diagram. Read the DC voltages and current and compare with the measured in your machine.
6. Report back:)

Regards
George

connection1.jpg

connection2.jpg Hello everyone
I am new here from south FL and
I am in to Grundig product's older models
I am trying to survive tk46 open reel recorder and player, local repair shop screwed up my recorder after 8 months, it was playing and recording in one channel after 8 months I went there grab my machine take it home, plugged no noise no motor ,removed back panel aaaaaaaand what I saw drive me craysie.guy who worked on unsolder all the wires from fuse panel and behind fuse mini panel and I don't know what color goes where.is there a gentleman can help me?
deeply appreciate it ( my Email is aramk@ bellsouth.net)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.