oracle alexandria turntable HELP!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all
I was recently given a oracle alexandria turntable. This one features graphite colored platter and shock covers. the only problem is the sub base is warped, Very bad.
So i have a few questions:

Does any one know where i could get a replacement sub base?

It is 1/2 inch thick i thought i could easily make one out of acrillic or plastic using my router drill press and band saw. IS there any other plastic / easily millable material you would reccommend? I dont want to go with alumun because i dont have the tooling to shape it and it will be much heaver.

Lastly does anyone know of an inexpensive oracle delphi (any version) i could pickup and use my tonearm on / someone needing other parts from my table if i pick up a delphi? I rather repair a delphi than a alexandria turntable.
Thanks
FortyTwo

Base replacement

I suggest making the base out of high density particle board.
its rather very hard and more difficult to work with but very strong.

Or use an MDF board (medium density) , say 2 layers of 1/2 inch or a 3/4 inch piece.

You can get a Delphi on Audiogon for $650 and up.
BUT Oracle does not service nor Oracle have old motor parts - so beware of what you buy and see if the motor is any good

You can also send a photo of the motor of the TT you want to buy and ask Oracle if that motor model has problems... Pierre at Oracle can help you. Jacques also, he just re-joined the company.

something stiff

ABS I do not know.

Acrilic will most likely bend at only 1/2 inch.

High density particle board should do .Very stiff !

Also, why dont you just call Oracle & se if they fixed that problem before & what material they used...

As for dead out of the box TT - I bought my Oracle at $1200. with a micky mouse small Premotec motor, way under powered, too small a pulley , with the wrong distance from the center of the platter and a minimalist DC control. Oracle sells just ONE belt size - but other sources have different sizes for different Oracle models.

Almost 3 years later, I am sort of getting very decent motorisation with an Origin Live propulsion - but have spent some $2,500. buying & trading & selling stuff in search of the right motor. Oracle sells the new motor unit for $1,500. - should have done that then possibly...

Did not get too lucky on that one but must say that I had/having a lot of fun and I am more than willing to experiment....

i have emailed oracle but have not gotten a response. The original sub base was made of cast white metal. I cant believe oracle would use such a crap material. There are much better casting metal available like aluminum or even a plastic. I will see what they say.

I know a bit about motors, i have one home built table but would like to have a oracle to use as a reference or just to have 2 tables hooked up.
thanks
i look into the mdf option
fortytwo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.