New Oracle Delphi owner questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2009, 01:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default New Oracle Delphi owner questions

I just picked up an Oracle Delphi Mk III from audiogon. I now have the makings of a particularly Canadian system (Oracle, homemade pre, Assemblage ST40, and Rega/Camber speakers). Makes we want to go to Timmies and get a double double. I've got a few questions:

1. What bearing oil to use? I have 2cc in a syringe that the PO had sent. it looks just like 20/50 motor oil.
2. The acrylic armboard and mounting bolts do not visually inspire confidence. Anyone modified this? Perhaps machining one out of aluminium?
3. Any particularly good polishing compound to make the plinth and suspension parts sparkle?
Old 24th April 2009, 01:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I did modify mine, and you can see the picture in Oracle's Gallery: http://www.oracle-audio.com/show_pic...%20Switzerland

As to the oil, they told me sewing machine oil will work fine if I not using theirs (which you can order from them as well)

I did the armboard out of brass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg or.jpg (93.8 KB, 200 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 24th April 2009, 02:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Nice work Peter. Is the brass the full thickness of the plinth? How did you secure it to the plinth?
Old 24th April 2009, 02:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Brass is 1/4" thick and it's secured with screws.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 28th April 2009, 02:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

1) Here in Montreal, a small company is making a spray lubricant called Jig A Loo using a secret formula. put a faire amount into the bearing with a noticeable improvement... Also using very thin oil sold to lubricate the bearings of in-line skates.

2) Oracle sells directly a new aluminum arm board - the sound is much improved with it.

I did a number of things to the Oracle turntable.

One of the most effective mod is adding diving weights to the chassis. 2x 3 pounds to the left and 1 X 5 pound to the right.
For that Oracle sent me their strongest springs - I believe 2 blue and one black... This mod adds a lot more bass and other benefits I cannot remember.

Another effective and inexpensive mod is adding a marble or granite piece under the original base. This made a HUGE difference. Mind you, I have an aluminum custom made base, then a piece of MDF and then the granite.

Changing the 3 aluminum post to Oracle delrin towers also made a big difference.

The new Oracle platter matt is absolutely phenomenal in the sound improovement department...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oracle small photo.jpg (44.5 KB, 157 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!