ERA Turntable - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2009, 12:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question ERA Turntable

Anyone know about ERA turntables? There is precious little on the net except that they were considered good but had a fault in the bearings. I have found a source of them brand new without a cartridge for what appears to be a very good price. There are three models available 2202, 3303 and 5505, all for the same price. I assume the 5505 is the one to go for but who knows???

No seriously does anyone KNOW?
Old 26th April 2009, 12:04 AM   #2
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Came across these back in the early 1970s in the UK. They were in the Linn, AR, THorens 150 camp. They were at the time quite good, but soon faded and lost out to Linn - whose marketing strategy was better than their product.
Old 26th April 2009, 01:56 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

In the late 70s we sold a couple hundred of one or the other of these. We could only get one model. We sold them for something like $150 and usually added a grace 707 (ie $300 with an arm). It was a good table, but not a Linn (about $950 at the time with the same arm).

Have you got pictures of the various ones you can get.

dave
Old 26th April 2009, 02:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I believe there were three models with arms and one without. I had one that came with the ERA tonearm ( not very good) and the armless version which I put an SME 3009 on. Frankly a cheap French belt drive turntable for those not prepared to spend Linn money and didn't want Japanese direct drive.

The motor didn't have much torque, no drive electronics, and the suspension was primitive at best - basically you got what you paid for.
Old 26th April 2009, 06:46 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I found a picture of an example of the ERA we sold -- they were Mk6c. For the money they were a very good table. Easily took on the big Technics & Denon direct drives of the day.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg era-mk6c.jpg (67.5 KB, 180 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!