ERA Turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone know about ERA turntables? There is precious little on the net except that they were considered good but had a fault in the bearings. I have found a source of them brand new without a cartridge for what appears to be a very good price. There are three models available 2202, 3303 and 5505, all for the same price. I assume the 5505 is the one to go for but who knows???

No seriously does anyone KNOW?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
In the late 70s we sold a couple hundred of one or the other of these. We could only get one model. We sold them for something like $150 and usually added a grace 707 (ie $300 with an arm). It was a good table, but not a Linn (about $950 at the time with the same arm).

Have you got pictures of the various ones you can get.

dave

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I believe there were three models with arms and one without. I had one that came with the ERA tonearm ( not very good) and the armless version which I put an SME 3009 on. Frankly a cheap French belt drive turntable for those not prepared to spend Linn money and didn't want Japanese direct drive.

The motor didn't have much torque, no drive electronics, and the suspension was primitive at best - basically you got what you paid for.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I found a picture of an example of the ERA we sold -- they were Mk6c. For the money they were a very good table. Easily took on the big Technics & Denon direct drives of the day.

dave

Attachments

• era-mk6c.jpg
    era-mk6c.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 246
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.