How add Coax wire to Fm radio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2009, 03:15 AM   #1
Ace2 is offline Ace2  United States
diyAudio Member

Default How add Coax wire to Fm radio

I have an old am/fm clock radio the antenna is ok but i want to make it better. I has a single wire across the circut board for the antenna. I have a omni directional antenna that I want to add I don't know how to wire the coax cable to the radio. I have Coax connectors out of a TV and a CB. Do I Cut the antenna on the raio a splice the wire with the one of the coax connector.

Which is better making it with the Tv or CB coax.

Thanks in advance,

Ace2
Old 22nd April 2009, 04:15 AM   #2
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi
Unless you are comfortable with electronics and know what various components are/look like and understand schematics, its probably going to be a problem unless you can get local help.
Basically you need get a TV 300 to 75 ohm balun. Connect the balun screw terminals (300 ohm side) to the FM antenna and a find a RF ground for the remaining connection. Use the 75 ohm side to RG6 coax. might need a coupling cap and drain resistor as well, not sure without schematic.

Depending on your antenna,cable,location and radio your results of this mod over a little whip/wire maybe not as good as you expected in my experience. see Antenna woes, I need guidance
Old 22nd April 2009, 06:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

first of all, I'd simply try an extension of the internal antenna wire, to bring it out of the radio's case. A couple of feet of stranded, insulated flexible wire should be sufficient, and it's an easy thing to try. Using a coax connection to an external antenna is probably overkill in the first instance.

Obviously be careful that your new spliced connection can't short out to anything inside the radio. Once it's attached, and led out of the case, you can adjust it's position for best reception.

Just a thought, hope it's helpful.

Ed
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

For AM it probably doesn't use the wire antenna at all.
Has it got a grey rod with about an inch of copper wire neatly wound on it? If so, that's the AM antenna (ferrite rod) and no attitional wiring will have any effect on AM reception.

Hide this!Advertise here!