Dumb turntable query

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I have just found a CDC ST 530 turntable at the Op-shop for $5- and apart from missing a stylus appears to be working, is this worth buying a new cartridge for and if so what do people recommend??

I already have a Stanton STR8 and a Project debut for listening, this would just be used for parties and the older vinyl.

Thanx in advance for your serious replys
regards
ed

Hi Moondog,

(that's a cool name by the way) I want to ask you: don't you mean a CEC turntable, not CDC?

If it's what I think, then I humbly suggest you install a japanese cartridge, to match the "japanese" design of the turntable. Maybe an early Audio-Technica, Denon or maybe even a Technics?

Something made in Japan anyway...

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
No it is definitely CDC.

Made in Japan ( of course ) by Chup Denki Corporation in Saitama, lightweight design and the unit is rated at 6watts so small motor.
Underneath is a little sticker saying that replacement stylus is RS 3 buy when I made an inquiry I was told that model was no longer available.

I Have sen one of these advertised on Eb8 for $80 with an Ortofon cartridge fitted so the unit is worth what I paid and no more, I figured that any cheap cartidge would do the trick and there is little point in putting a very good one on a cheap deck BUT, I can get a reasonable Ortofon for $55- and there do not seem to be any cheap cartridges here ATM

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
$5 is about as much as you want to pay... i bought a few just to sell the headshells. The dustcovers make good parts trays. The better versions of the arms on these would be OK as a sub on an AR (i have one of those projects in the queue). Might be worthwhile to get to do a replinth job =you want to at least loose all the auto bits.

dave

"lose all the auto bits"? Hunh. I never got that. Why, what's that going to do?
I never understood why automatic turntable like this where shunned upon, like what is it abou the fact that they're automatic take away form their ability to sound as good as say, a REGA or a Dual?:confused:

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Hi Dave, I also don't understand, would removing the auto mechanism make it sound any better?? This one will remain unmounted then unless I can get a cheap replacement stylus, I'm certain;y not going to pat $39.95 plus postage which is what I was just quoted for a replacement needle.

My mistake too; my Project TT is the 1.2 not that makes it much better than the debut, just that RIAA equalization isn't on board.

My Home system probably would not do justice to a TT any better than those I already have but my party system was using a couple of borrowed Technics that I had to return and so no vinyl for parties

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Moondog55 said:
would removing the auto mechanism make it sound any better??

It would be a good start.

This one will remain unmounted then unless I can get a cheap replacement stylus, I'm certain;y not going to pat $39.95 plus postage which is what I was just quoted for a replacement needle.

It probably needs a new belt too ... add $20. So iyt is really a $60-70 table, noit a $5 one.

dave

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
These are direct drive so I save the money there, but !

OK so this one isn't a keeper, at least my $5- donation went to a worthy cause; I tend to support the MS society when I can.

So Ted has started saving for a good turntable before he goes totally stone dead deaf.

And my budget for that will be very limited, Turntables have low WAF in this household, I'm lucky I get to build other stuff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.