First Time Post - Which Turntable Would You Reccomend?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First off, hello all - this is my first post.

I grew up in a home with a lot of LPs and turntables and have always loved it. Everything from the sound to scouring for LPs.

I have started a collection but only have an old RCA furniture piece with the turntable in it ... hehehehe. As you know, the sound is horrid!

So I am on a mission to find a turntable now. My goal is to get a good classic TT and not spend too much money. I am limited to the system I am connecting it too - Bose Accoustimas speakers tied to a 2 channel 100W per channel Kenwood Receiver from the 90s. It's not the best in the world but not the worst either I suppose.

What I really want is a Pro Ject Debut III deck - but I cannot justify the cost at this time seeing as we are having a baby... and strollers aren't cheap!

So I have found the following and wonder what your feedback is on the following decks and what cartridges you might recommend for them:

Kenwood KD 2055 ($100)
Sony PS-T20 ($60)
Sony PS 1100 ($100)
Dual 510 ($60)

So that is it for now - any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks gang!

SDB

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Welcome to the forum.

The only TT in your list i can comment on is the 1st Kenwood... the geometry of the arm is WAY off and is a real pain to properly align... IIRC we actually had to modify the headshell. In this price range, i'd be looking for a belt-drive (expect to have to buy a new belt)... too bad you are on the other coast, i've at least a 1/2 dozen TTs that would be suitable.

dave

sbolduc said:
What I really want is a Pro Ject Debut III deck - but I cannot justify the cost at this time seeing as we are having a baby...

Save your money for something else, a used Rega P3 maybe. A friend bought a Debut III and was really disappointed with it's poor performance. My DJ abused SL-1200 M3D is a sonic marvel in comparison.

Jeff

An SL-1200 would be a great choice. A friend has an old one, and I'm amazed at the sound quality. I once had a Sony PS-T33 that was very good for the money, but they don't show up often and the lube is getting stiff by now. Some service would be needed, as it usually is on old tables. There are also some inexpensive Duals that would fill the bill, but I'm not up on the best numbers. You might want to peruse the Vinyl Engine forums too.

Re: Re: LP12 vs SL-1200M3D

Shaun said:
This statement worries me. Not meaning to veer too far off topic, but on what do you bass this statement (the bold text)? AFAIK, the SL-1200's speed regulation is better than that of the Linn's...

Don't be worried, this is just IMHO, based on listening only. I don't have the means to measure either deck. I wouldn't be surprised if the Technics actually measured better than the Valhalla, it just doesn't sound better to me.

FYI my Valhalla is mounted externally, which makes a difference.

Jeff

Good golly!... I wrote "bass" when I meant "base"...

Although I have never heard a Linn that did not sound good, I really do enjoy using the SL1200 more than I would the Linn. There's something about the Technics - the look and feel - that lets you know, "There ain't nothin' goin' wrong any time soon, Boss". I'd love to get a KAB damping trough one day but for now I'm quite content.

I picked up my Dual 510 today and decided to treat it to a new Shure N95 needle. I went to my local shop and they wanted $41 for it ... that seemed high so after a quick search I found a shop in NJ that sells them. I paid $23 CND after shipping. I generally prefer to support local business, but I also generally prefer not to spend twice as much!

I grew up listening to my dad's Dual 1019 that was purchased in Germany in the 60's or 70's, can't remember and it doesn't really matter either!

I remember stumbling around on the living room floor with his Dual playing through a vintage Sansui system with the reverb going... ahh that brings me back.

I actually still have the Dual and fire it up every once in a while for comparisons, since I'm so familiar with it. It doesn't sound amazing but it hardly sounds bad. I have no experience with other Duals, but if this one is a sign of their quality, you should have years of enjoyment out of your deck, especially in mint condition.

Joe

Duals have always been...

a pretty safe bet.

One thing all should be aware of though is the precarious wiring. The tonearm wires are often soldered to a terminal "board". The output RCAs are soldered to the same board. Over time the tonearm cable (which moves ) can become brittle and pull away from the solder or pull the traces from the board.

An easy fix...just re-solder the cables and replace the OEM RCA output cable with something better, while you're in there.

I wish sbolduc and others either just starting in vinyl or returning to it the best possible wishes. It is becoming a little tougher to find LPs, but excellent new pressing are becoming available and a huge amount of obscure stuff willl never be released on cd.

stew

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.