Calculations for MC Transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, I am unable to figure out/find how to calculate the step up required for an MC transformer.

I'm looking at purchasing a pair of Lundahl MC transformers. I've narrowed it down to the 9206 which is 1:5, 1:10, and 1:20 and the 1678 which is 1:8, 1:16, and 1:32.

What I have is an Aikido phono pre using 12AX7s in the 2 gain stages. The 12AX7's have a gain of 100 and in the Aikido it's equal to roughly 1/2 of that. So between the 2 stages i'll have roughly a gain of 100. The output is the regular unbalanced, but i was thinking of using a 5402 in 1:1 on the output to balance it.

It needs to have enough signal to push a 600 ohm +4 input. The cartridge that will be used is a Denon DL-103 with an output of .53mV. What transformer would be best? How would you be able to figure this out and also how do you determine how much gain from the turns ratio? Any help is appreciated.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Rule of thumb is to avoid ratios > 10:1.

I don't think the DL103 will like a transformer because it has a high source resistance, which will combine with the leakage inductance of the transformer to give a rolled-off treble. I suspect this is one of the reasons for the strongly polarized opinions on the cartridge - some people had no transformer, others good transformers, and others poor transformers.

Thirdly, few transformers will like feeding the high input capacitance of ECC83. Another reason to stick to < 10:1.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.