Phono input selector switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
analog_sa; post #2 and #3 1798928 said:
Just don't do it. You have a pretty nice phono pre and it will be a pity to spoil its sound. All components at these low levels are painfully audible, especially switches.
If you absolutely have to do it use a Shallco switch and make sure you switch both signal and ground. WBT sockets and some nice thin solid core silver wire. I like DH Labs but i am not such an expert on wire. Screen the casing rather than use screened wire.

I agree. For this reason I get an other idea: to use such a phono input selector to check out the audible effects of different switch devices and relais.
Then I choice that switch type resp. relais type with the lowest audible effect for the source select (input select) of new amplifier projects.
for pre-select switch/relais devices go to
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/153935-best-audio-relays-2.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...nny-giles-tkd-vishay-more-whats-your-fav.html

This is the plan I am following. Almost all of the pieces are here, and assembly has begun. I found a very nice extruded enclosure on e-bay, from a gentleman who makes lasers. A Shallco switch is installed. Cardas chassis mount RCA's are here ( Joe Fratus of Art Audio recommended using the exact RCAs that the Vinyl Reference uses) I found some Peavey amp binding posts for a good price that look adequate for ground posts, they should arrive soon, hopefully they are not crap. Every deck will have it's own ground, which is switchable to the main ground. Some solid silver cryo'ed wire with a clear tube casing. Cardas solder and flux. A cable made from Cardas shielded litz will connect directly to the switch, and go to the pre-amp, with a ground wire. Eichmann bullets will terminate, and will be epoxy potted. I have some Stillpoints ERS fabric to play with, and am still unsure of the precise method of grounding/ shielding the enclosure. The length of the cable is less than 1m.

As soon as all of the parts are here, I will post a photo. I will soon hear what difference this switch makes in the sound.... If it works, it will certainly help with all of the decks I have running, and in making comparisons...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.