tachometer to measure TT speed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I just bought a digital tachometer off ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Digital-...370405555&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318#ebayphotohosting

Something nearly the same sells at Jaycar for A$80.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone else uses it to check TT speed.
I checked my Technodec at it was dead on 33.3. Then my Lenco L75 which I thought was correct but was actually 33.5.
Surprisingly a Thorens 126 III was the most steady with steady 33.3 for over a minute where as the other 2 would occasionally go to 33.4 for one reading in a minute or so. Maybe my hand was shaky - a tripod would help.

It seems to be pretty accurate but I'd like to know what others think.

Kffern

Acuracy

I looked at the item you bought on EBAy

the speed acuracy is printed as follows: Accuracy: +/- (0.05% +1 digit).

I am using an Oracle strobe I glued under the platter of my Oracle and that I can see with a mirror and a light while I play a record.

The strobe has some 230 or so marks for the 33 1/3 speed.

If the speed changes by one mark for one turn, its a .0043% variance.

Now, I can get the speed ajusted to a drift of 1/4 of a mark per revolution - this equals .0010869 or about 1/10 of 1% speed variance.

Thus, I prefer the strobe, since it appears to give me more information and precise speed measurement.

I use a laser tachometer.

good to .1 RPM +/- .05 RPM close enough for me and not such a PITA as the Oracle calibrator (I own an old Alex). quickest, high precision measurement I could do...,

but if you set it to the nigh RPM range it will provide more precise measurements...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.