Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2012, 02:07 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Well I 'm puzzled because my MK III uses a 24 VDC supply. There is no internal regulator on the driver board.

For the MKIII I use a 50 watt torroid, soft recovery diodes, CLC filter, a LM 329 referenced 317 pre-regulator then' LM 329 referenced LT 1085 then 50,000 uf.

It's easy to build a beefier version of the 'Turbo' supply for about $100, rather than the $1,000 Oracle charges.
Old 13th January 2013, 05:13 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVWERK View Post
One thing that Brooks does on the bearing is to run the table for 24 hours or more straight and then clean the shaft and bearing hole out completely and re-oil. If the tolerance is extremely tight I wouldn't use a straight 20 wt oil. Very tight tolerances require thinner oil .
I use Mobil 1 synthetic or Tuffoil personally but if it works out for you then you have found the right combination of tolerance and viscosity
If the shaft has any visible wear rings that you can feel or measure, then you need a new shaft and bearing that no kind of oil will cure
Regards
David
Well. Here I am again with the same problem. Things worked well for a few days but after not using the turntable for about a week it would hardly spin up and then ran slow. and inconsistently.

As per your advise I removed the oil in the well and replaced with synthetic 5w40 motor oil and ran the turntable for a number of hours, then it seemed to work fine.

Next day it ran slow when first turned on and once up to speed, after about 15 min., was ok. It then sped up momentarily then settled down.

Now I can not get it to maintain proper speed.

I have not lubricated the motor shaft again as I wasn't sure if the SAE 20 electric motor oil should be used. Can any one advise which type is correct?

All suggestion as to where to begin trouble shooting are welcome.
Old 13th January 2013, 07:40 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

How old is your belt? And does it work better if you put a twist in it?
Old 14th January 2013, 03:29 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingdongb View Post
How old is your belt? And does it work better if you put a twist in it?
The belt is just over a year old. It's a 19.7. I have not tried putting a twist in it.
Old 14th January 2013, 03:47 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Checked the output on the wall wart. It states "Input VAC 120"; "Freq. 50/60 Hz"; "Output 12 VAC/1A"
It also says "To be used with Series III only."

My output voltage ranges from 13.29 to 13.39. It mainly stays at 13.30-13.33 v then may pop to 13.34-13.36 v for a short while, with the occasional momentary fluctuation to either 13.29 v or 13.38-13.39 v. Would this be considered normal and within tolerance?
Old 14th January 2013, 10:52 PM   #26
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Make sure your belt is clean and not handled with your bare hands. Consider what happens with a small dia. Motor pulling a big platter and it sees a slippery road ahead..

You get the idea. Just use some rubbing alcohol and clean the belt and platter,s belt path.
Then you can eliminate another area.

Regards
David
Old 17th January 2013, 02:27 AM   #27
cdebien is offline cdebien  Canada
diyAudio Member

To clean rubber belt, try this:
(Asalco - Products - Electronic Maintenance Products - Specialty Products)
Very efficiency.

Cyr-Marc
Old 17th January 2013, 10:14 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdebien View Post
Very efficiency.

Cyr-Marc
I used to distribute Asalco products. Still have one of their ball caps. I think I have a small bottle of rubber renew buried in my cellar. Will pull it out & give a try.
Old 20th January 2013, 06:34 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdebien View Post
Very efficiency.

Cyr-Marc
Dug out my rubber renue and cleaned my belt. The belt stretched so much it's too long to stay on the platter. Ruined it. Off to get another one.
Old 21st January 2013, 01:57 AM   #30
cdebien is offline cdebien  Canada
diyAudio Member

???????

I'am very sorry to read this. I clean many, many, belt for many kind of turntable (and also CEC TL 51 cd player) and I never encounter this problem. Yesterday, I clean a belt for TD 125 and the belt have a better "grip".

Sorry,

Cyr-Marc

Hide this!Advertise here!