Oracle Delphi MK III speed issues...help - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2012, 06:00 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

The original MK 3 power supply was an oversized wall wart with a simple bridge rectifier and small capacitor.

The Turbo supply is an emi cap filtered input torrid power transformer with a double RC filtered output feeding a Zener based (Shunt?) Fet regulator - rather overpriced for what it is.
Old 9th December 2012, 06:25 PM   #12
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks, wasn't sure if the Dynamic stabalizer was part of it or not

So then different than the "Dynamic stabilizer" . I've taken mine apart and all it looks like is a fair bit of capacitance for PS smoothing.

So perhaps a new power supply might be interesting to try to see what the effects are. I do know that the dynamic stabilizer was an additional cost item. Perhaps an intermediate step before the Turbo PS.
Old 9th December 2012, 06:43 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

The Mark III is an AC motor. The Mark I & II are DC motors. The Mark III has user accessible fine tune for both 33 & 45 rpm. I have no idea who made the motor or how to break into the housing.
Old 9th December 2012, 07:20 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

The MK III is a Pabst motor feed from the DC powered motor driver board. There are 2 hex screws for opening the integrated motor / driver board housing.

The Dynamic Stabilizer is a big capacitor bank to improve voltage sag under "dynamic " load conditions.

I have a MK III with Well Tempered arm unused for 20 years with a double regulated torroid supply, a 25 th anniversary gold black Mk 5 / Turbo and a MK VI with SME V / Turbo here
I need to sell one or two.

Last edited by ticknpop; 9th December 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 9th December 2012, 07:37 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Oracle MK III motor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ORACLE_MOTOR.JPG (128.1 KB, 140 views)
Old 9th December 2012, 07:44 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Oracle MkIII controller
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oracle controller.JPG (243.7 KB, 130 views)
Old 9th December 2012, 07:59 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Oracle MkIII controller part2 with my temporary Mods for dc motor
Sorry for my English
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oragle controller part2.JPG (354.9 KB, 131 views)
Old 9th December 2012, 09:05 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticknpop View Post
The MK III is a Pabst motor feed from the DC powered motor driver board. There are 2 hex screws for opening the integrated motor / driver board housing.

The Dynamic Stabilizer is a big capacitor bank to improve voltage sag under "dynamic " load conditions.
Thanks for this. I assumed that it was AC because the wall wart says 12v AC. Any idea what size hex wrench is required? I have about 20 and none fit. Same for the arm board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticknpop View Post
I have a MK III with Well Tempered arm unused for 20 years with a double regulated torroid supply, a 25 th anniversary gold black Mk 5 / Turbo and a MK VI with SME V / Turbo here
I need to sell one or two.
I'll swap my Mk III with MMT for your Mk VI with SME V. No? OK The Mk V/turbo.
Old 9th December 2012, 09:26 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stergios1 View Post
Oracle Mk III controller part2 with my temporary Mods for dc motor
Sorry for my English
Wish I could read electrical circuits. This looks like good stuff.

I have learned as much from all your replies as I have from a week's searching on the net. It would be wonderful if there was a dedicated subforum just for Oracle products.
Old 9th December 2012, 09:58 PM   #20
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks all for the information.

stergios1: No need for an apology, I don't understand Greek and if I tried I would be much less proficient than you are with English. To me this is one of the great things about this site, it doesn't matter where you are from or what your native language you speak and read. I wish I had learned German to be able to access all the great books on Physics.

Madturtle and ticknpop: Thanks for the information. Mine has an AC Pabst "pancake" style motor.

stergios1:Thank you for the circuit diagrams. Anybody need a manual for the Alexandria MkII?

everyone: One thing every owner of even the lowliest Oracle turntable (more correctly any Oracle equipped with the "Prelude" arm) is to get rid of it. I've heard a few and they all suck. If you are lucky enough to have an Oracle SME345, that's a great arm. I have a SME 309 (newest version) and that is a very nice match for the old Alex.

To me a big, bad, custom power supply would be best. I just like the idea of having way more power available than what is required (so same voltage, but more current available). In North America (I'm from Canada) a 1:5 transformer would provide lots. Then use the dynamic stabilizer, and an isolation transformer, and a filter of some sort. Or regenerate the AC to the correct voltage required and use a capacitor bank and filter it. Any ideas?

I really liked the idea that "the Voyd" turntable used: a big amplifier with transformers for each motor.

Hide this!Advertise here!