Help with an idea for air-bearing pump - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2003, 07:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help with an idea for air-bearing pump

I may need to find an alternative compressed air source for the air-bearing in my DIY tonearm as my current compressor is starting to make an odd noise (and it's only 3 months old!).

My requirements are for 0.012 scfm at about 40 psi.

When I was looking for my current compressor, I looked all over the place for an affordable and quiet pump. I also wanted it to be oilless, so I didn't have to buy filters all of the time. What I found seemed pretty much the only game in town besides going with compressed air, which would have been costly.

One idea I had, but didn't pursue, was using a refrigerator or freezer compressor. Not the typical application for such, but I wonder if it would work. Does anyone know anything about them? In particular, what their output (volume and pressure) is?

Thanks.

Paul Ebert
Old 22nd April 2003, 10:39 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

A fridge or freezer compressor might do the trick. But they are not exactly oil-less. Also quite some fluctuations on the output (pulsed air) so you would need a buffer. And they can get quite hot when running like you intend. No idea about volume or pressure delivery.

Take a look at artist supply shops for them. They are used for airbrush work, and come then complete with filter and buffer tank.
Old 22nd April 2003, 02:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Havoc
A fridge or freezer compressor might do the trick. But they are not exactly oil-less. Also quite some fluctuations on the output (pulsed air) so you would need a buffer. And they can get quite hot when running like you intend. No idea about volume or pressure delivery.

Take a look at artist supply shops for them. They are used for airbrush work, and come then complete with filter and buffer tank.

Thanks for the reply. So, there is some sort of oil or lubrication in the coolant gas? I guess that would make sense. Given that, the only benefit I can see is, maybe, cost.

I've been looking at airbrush compressors. Suitable ones tend to be upwards of $500 or so. Another option is compressors for dental work. These are very quiet and reliable, but are $800 and up. They all use oil. Perhaps I should ask my (few) dentist friends to keep an eye open for a used one for me.

Pulsed air is not a problem as I already have a buffer tank and regulator/filter.

Thanks, again.
Old 22nd April 2003, 04:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi ,

I've been using an aquarium pump, no oil

cheers
Old 22nd April 2003, 04:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by slowmotion
Hi ,

I've been using an aquarium pump, no oil

cheers

This would be great if it met my requirements for pressure (40 psi) and flow (0.012 scfm). Do you happen to know these specifications for your pump? My impression has been that aquarium pumps don't put out much pressure. If yours is suitable, could you please let me know its make and model number? If the flow was too low, I believe I could use multiple pumps to make up for it.

Thanks!

Paul
Old 22nd April 2003, 05:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Ebert

This would be great if it met my requirements for pressure (40 psi) and flow (0.012 scfm). Do you happen to know these specifications for your pump? My impression has been that aquarium pumps don't put out much pressure. If yours is suitable, could you please let me know its make and model number? If the flow was too low, I believe I could use multiple pumps to make up for it.

Thanks!

Paul
Hi Paul

I don't know pressure & flow, it says

Medo Compressor, 46W
Nitto Kohki Co ltd
No 40604929,

that's all, plenty pressure for my arm, tho,

Sorry I can't be more helpful

cheers
Old 22nd April 2003, 06:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by slowmotion

Hi Paul

I don't know pressure & flow, it says

Medo Compressor, 46W
Nitto Kohki Co ltd
No 40604929,

that's all, plenty pressure for my arm, tho,

Sorry I can't be more helpful

cheers

Thanks for checking for me, but I looked it up on the web (http://www.medousa.com) and it appears that it puts out less than 5 psig. Medo makes a compressor that puts out 42 psig, but its flow at that pressure is very small. They are quite quiet, though. Being linear piston pumps, I would also assume that they would be very reliable. I'll keep them in mind, should my current pump fail.

Paul
Old 22nd April 2003, 07:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Paul

Thanks for the link. My pump is more than 20 years old,
so can't find it at the Medo pages, looks a bit like this, tho:

Click the image to open in full size.

Hmm , no picture? well , doesn't matter,
hope you find a pump that works for you

cheers
Old 22nd April 2003, 11:53 PM   #9
diyAudio Senior Member

Default Pumps.

Hi,

Quote:
Medo Compressor, 46W
Wasn't that the same pump as used by Air Tangent?

You can always run one or two or even more of those in //, I have mine in another room even though it's pretty quiet.

Cheers,
Old 23rd April 2003, 03:44 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I've been looking for a compressor as well. I have an ET2 that I'd like tur run at a higher pressure, and I also have the platter air-bearing from a Maplenoll Athena that I'm hoping to use in a semi-homebrew table.

From everything I can tell, the Silent airbrush compressors are more or less the same principle as fridge compressors, although I don't know whether both are oil-free (I assume that the airbrush units are, but it's been a while since I've looked). I haven't been able to bring myself to drop 4-500 on an airbrush compressor, so I've been hoping to come across someone that has tried the the fridge compressor route. With a cheap 5-10 gal air storage tank to serve as a smoothing resevoir, I would think they'd work well.

The only downside is that you'd have to fabricate the connections, since you'd probably have just bare pipe-ends if you used a pulled fridge unit.

Hide this!Advertise here!