Valve Itch phono

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This one was just for fun
I hope one day I will properly build one with Salas HV and better filament supply.
Even like this no hum and sounds great!

Has good PSRR due to μ-follower, the input tubes are rugged for mechanical feedback noise, and the ra is not pushed by circuitry keeping that PSRR, so you can enjoy even with lesser PSU.
There is merit in using SSHV2 but not make or break for nuisance phenomena like buzz and too harsh tone in this case.
Having no hum is to your accolade as good grounding practician Itchy builder.;)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You will have tolerance and dissipation factor issues with PIO...Do you have a good LCR meter? I would not use PIO in the RIAA filter. Maybe for inter-stage if you prefer the cozy PIO sound. Its a matter of synergy with everything in your full system and your taste.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I can get them tightly matched for Riaa.
I will experiment ;)

Having MKS4 if I spied right in the little photo is not end of the world choice anyway, so experiment to your best of taste. But hook up your Cinemag and DL103 at a point to know the recipe is good for them too. What else is the system comprised of? How does that few EF80s with LCR RIAA mysterious pre you had VS your Itchy?

Having MKS4 if I spied right in the little photo is not end of the world choice anyway, so experiment to your best of taste. But hook up your Cinemag and DL103 at a point to know the recipe is good for them too. What else is the system comprised of? How does that few EF80s with LCR RIAA mysterious pre you had VS your Itchy?
Itchy have so much sweeter sound, so involving, more organic ;)
Rest of system is SET d3a/300B and Tannoy 15" Monitor Gold.