Valve Itch phono

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'm using an Audioquest Onyx LOMC, and currently running it through a set of vintage Shure SUT 1:10 (which I like a lot). Arm is a Sumiko Premier MMT on a modified VPI HW 19 MKIII w/outboard motor. So far I have been happy with a Siren Song, SB cascode 12AY7, and a Salas NJFet RIAA w/SSHV reg (thanks Salas for the great designs). Both the Siren Song and NJFet are really quiet.

The Itch along the 1:10 SUT should suffice for gain even if your cart is 0.2mV to 0.3mV. Already having a line preamp with some gain presumed.

I had a hard time finding any info on it. All I know it is close to a Audioquest AQB100MH, which is listed as 1.6mv (was built by Scantech and rebranded and labeled for the US). I do think that the rated output is correct for the Onyx. It's no more that 2mv. Yes I do have a line stage, a 26 5:1 xfmr coupled.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Salas

I am now studying the Itch and allready have some basic questions:

In the first stage you use a rather highish plate resistor for the lower triode (R2 = 82k) and I believe you do so because you do not need a large voltage swing on the output of that mu stage.

Anyway, the dynamic impedance of that resistor should be around R2 / (1 - Avcf)

What value should I consider for Avcf (Voltage gain of the CF on top?)

Around 0.9 ?

I think so, that's the way I have it loaded through my SUT.
BTW, I did a search through all my schematics I've archived over the years, and found a very similar circuit to the itch. I was by the late great N. Shishido, published in MJ mag in the 80's and later republished in Sound Practices. Dual 6DJ8 with a passive Tango LCR riaa between stages and 1:10/20/40 Tango SUT input. The 6N1p input and the SSHV should really make this itch circuit sing (very clever Salas).

Attachments

• Shishido LCR Phono.bmp
    163.6 KB · Views: 181
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
What you may learn...Shishido had done alike is pretty nice. I would never use same amount gain stages, the BGs, the high bias commanded for driving the LCR, and the stoppers though. I am confident the Itch is 10dB better for noise by implementing the head amp concept and possibly has more accurate EQ.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas

I am now studying the Itch and allready have some basic questions:

In the first stage you use a rather highish plate resistor for the lower triode (R2 = 82k) and I believe you do so because you do not need a large voltage swing on the output of that mu stage.

Anyway, the dynamic impedance of that resistor should be around R2 / (1 - Avcf)

What value should I consider for Avcf (Voltage gain of the CF on top?)

Around 0.9 ?

Acts as a current source the top part. Increases gain and PSRR. The first stage has high mu and high rp so it gets a highish plate load for linearity in low swing even, because it lacks cathode degeneration for absolute minimum en (input noise equivalent) reasons avoiding electrolytic decoupling also.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I understand the top tube acts like a ccs so the lower tube sees a much larger dynamic plate resistance and that makes it more linear ok

Thank you for the filament explaining... I was not aware of the cathode to heater max spec.

Now, please indulge my lack of knowledge.... I am starting to understand tubes now but still do not know how to bias a triode... I did not know oine could make Vgrid = Vcathode =0 and make it work like a fet at Idss ....

Would you please enlighten me ?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its not like that. The current forced through as fixed in the upper part makes it bias. The valve type should be carefully selected here to be linear enough at low current and having minimal grid leakage. Batch quality can be easier to detect in such "naked" bias arrangement in high gain input position. Maybe Fellipe had felt that subjectively when choosing input valves.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Its not like that. The current forced through as fixed in the upper part makes it bias. The valve type should be carefully selected here to be linear enough at low current and having minimal grid leakage. Batch quality can be easier to detect in such "naked" bias arrangement in high gain input position. Maybe Fellipe had felt that subjectively when choosing input valves.

Thank you again... I was not understanding how a triode without negative grid bias could cope with positive signal overdrive correctly.

Now another question.... It seems penthodes make much better CCS than triodes.... why did you choose a triode for the upper CF ?