Valve Itch phono

Better late than never they say. Short answer is: HV creepage. I.e the clearances around R1 pads and other highly tensioned parts are minute to the underside ground plane for the 300V+ high voltage in the green rectification board. It arcs over the moment its associated with the high energy mains source ground. R1 acted like a fuse.
Thanks for looking at it. I'm still not understanding, though. It works fine if I replace the SSHV board with a resistor. Shouldn't it still be shorting if what you say is correct? It only burns up R1 when the SSHV is in the circuit and when it did spark it was under the SSHV board. Were you able to energize my power supply and reproduce the problem?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks for looking at it. I'm still not understanding, though. It works fine if I replace the SSHV board with a resistor. Shouldn't it still be shorting if what you say is correct? It only burns up R1 when the SSHV is in the circuit and when it did spark it was under the SSHV board. Were you able to energize my power supply and reproduce the problem?

Yes I found a proper Tx finally. With p2p rectification it does nothing, with the green board it does it. Don't know without SSHV2, I did the lot.