Valve Itch phono

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Finally arrived the Belton sockets (attached pic), I have several questions before starting the Salas Valve Itch Rev.1.1:

-B+ PSU: can I use 200uF / 350V instead 220uF/450V for C3-C4?
-Heaters PSU: can I use 33uF/16V or 47uF/50V instead 22uF/25V for C8-C9?
-For insterstage cap: can I use 47nF/200V instead 47nF/250V for C4?
-I'm sorry my ignorance, how have to measure 1.36mA & 3.5mA: between the junction & cathode using a 1R or 10R resistor?
-All resistors 1/4W except R2 82K 2W & R10 33K 2W?

Attachments

• DSC00056.jpg
    DSC00056.jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 331
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
-Yes if 100nF will not sound too full in big speakers

-OK

No, you measure for ballpark value so to know its about right. Each valve biases differently so you try match valves by seeing those numbers close enough between channels.

You should be able to power it all up with no valves installed, just your voltages may be a little higher because there is no load. You won;t be able to check voltages throughout the circuit since you won't have a complete circuit. But you will be able to see your heater and B+ voltages OK.

********Please note that because you have no load, the B+ may take a lot longer to drop to safe levels than normal!!!*********

So you have a B+ of 300V, you have the 2 sets of heaters giving you ~6V. Thats all good.

Now with the power off, check resistance from ground to either side of the 2 resistors that give you the 150V (the 470K-220K in the original heater sch). It seems to me that its likely theres something wrong the the 2 resistors here, or else the connection from the heater to that point?

If it was working correctly, powered up but no valves, you should have:

GND to B+ of 300V
GND to GND of elevated heater of ~150V
GND to + of elevated heater of ~156V
GND to GND of other heater of 0V

Fran