Valve Itch phono

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its also possible he got leaky grid valves if it ain't a connections mistake, or he has oscillations due to cable parasitics, he used much wire to put it together. His V1 grid DC (input) is particularly bad. He stood lucky it did not have enough current reserve when he connected his cart before measuring.

Would someone be kind enough to explain to me how the grounding should work in this project?

If I connect power supply ground to the chassis, I get a big spark under the SSHV and then power supply R1 burns up.

So I left the circuit ground unattached to chassis ground, and it seemed to work OK. All voltages were stable, everything seemed happy. I buttoned up the chassis and turned it on for a while and everything still seemed OK. I then carried it into the house and attached my turntable (which has a ground wire) and amplifier, turned it on, and R1 burned up.

I've burned up R1 5 times and I don't understand why. It happens whether or not the power supply is connected to the audio circuit.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

The attached image shows approximately where the ground connections are made.

Attachments

• ground 1.jpg
    ground 1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 323
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Since its difficult to pin point grounding troubles in differentiated builds by wild guessing from afar, better use yin yang diodes safe ground lift scheme to chassis but make sure you got the mains ground lug connected to chassis.

Hi All,

Can anyone help?
I lost interest in this project due to my daughter being born, and my group buy caps getting lost in the post.
Now I have caught up on some sleep, I would like to have another go at building this project.

Does anyone have any components left over I can buy?
Finger crosses, one of you has a complete build / kit they could sell me.

I hope everyone is well.
All the best
Ian

better use yin yang diodes safe ground lift scheme to chassis but make sure you got the mains ground lug connected to chassis.
I separated the circuit from the chassis using the yin-yang diodes but there was no difference. R1 burns up immediately any time the circuit is attached to the chassis. I removed all of my connecting wires in the power supply and replaced them, just to be sure I didn't have any mistakes in the connections.

I've just about reached the giving up point on this project. The whole circuit works fine as long as it's completely floating. As soon as there's any kind of connection to chassis R1 burns up. I just don't have enough knowledge to solve this problem. I don't know what to look for or what to test.