Valve Itch phono

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Not needing resistor specials, just to be alike quality, so there are no other question marks. When SUTs are involved its good to play with secondary load, in some it will be more pronounced in others not, depending on the particular phono also, is a general conclusion.

Overall - I think its worth experimenting with this resistor - probably after you have tried and settled on the RIAA and interstage caps - it does make a difference alright, and is worth doing. I suppose if you have the equipment to tune it on a scope, then its worth doing it that way.

My ears say that subjectively it sounds "cleaner" without losing warmth, presence or any of the good stuff. Just listening to Tom Waits - Small Change here now and the walking bass line is just great, and the vocals are very clean and clear and natural sounding. Not that it wasn't before!!!

Great album BTW, worth picking up the new vinyl release if you see it...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
So I replaced the 47k with 22k and have been listening for the last half an hour or so. Little enough change, perhaps a little more clean sounding, but not huge......

Fran

It did bring up HF for 47K VS 18-22K on scope and FFT, but it could be damping better on Itch's input and makes small difference. Still a little more cleaner is enough to keep it there. Is the new resistor quality the same as when it was 47K terminated?

Hey guys,

I'm not changing the 18-22K for the 47K load resistor in the Puresound MM, I'm adding the 18-22K between the SUT & the Puresound MM with it's own 47k load resistor, I'm doing wrong?

I prefer 18K shinkoh vs 22K Vishay VSH1, Vishay more clear in highs but less mids and lows, shinkoh is more balanced.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
1% RIAA caps GB

Felipe: looks like after christmas maybe?

I intend doing the resistor on mine later tonight - butI need to have a good detailed listen before I do the swap.

Just in case I'm confused here, or for others coming along after, you do mean changing R1 (47k) for something in the range of 18-22K?

Might be worth updating the sch or maybe the parts list to show the change....

Fran

I'm very angry, I don't know if after Christmas we will got the caps.

Felipe

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Felipe: looks like after christmas maybe?

I intend doing the resistor on mine later tonight - butI need to have a good detailed listen before I do the swap.

Just in case I'm confused here, or for others coming along after, you do mean changing R1 (47k) for something in the range of 18-22K?

Might be worth updating the sch or maybe the parts list to show the change....

Fran

That way you go parallel so you end up with ~15K with 22K extra. Either take out the 47K on Puresound and put the 18K there only, or leave it there and put 33K on the SUT's secondary.

I will put 33K on the SUT's secondary.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
1% RIAA caps GB

New Year 2.012 landed caps 1% RIAA caps GB:)

Attachments

• DSC00051.jpg
    DSC00051.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 467