Valve Itch phono

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its warm and musical, vocals well projected, has depth, beguiling tonality. No hum or hiss. No sibilance. Two questions: 1. Is the actual recording a bit ''warmish'' or you need tip up the Riaa a wee bit? Can you record something complex with more going on low and high so we can hear as well? 2. What are those crackles here and then, sometimes along the kick drum, I could not hear them when you recorded off mics. Did you hit ''over'' on the digital recorder some times, or is it static?

The crackles are very likely the jack on the cables I used. When I first put it into the zoom I had no right channel (cue minor heart attack!), I wiggled the cable about a bit and the right channel came back. So its likely that thats what it is (or the vinyl itself maybe!!)

I'll record something else.........

Fran

Only got back to this tonight. I did go back and add in the FT3 as bypasses for the 2.2uF film outputs, but couldn't really detect much of a difference. They can stay though....

Anyway, I went searching for something with a good drum sound, went for my copy of time out.... and there it was - gone! couldn't find it for the life of me!

Anyway, I recorded this snippet. Its Van Morrison at the Grand Opera House, second track side 1, Dweller on the Threshold. This whole album is a bit "brighter" than the one put up earlier, so might give another look at the highs. The track is fairly dynamic, with a fair bit of snap going on.

sample track

Fran

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Anyway, I recorded this snippet. Its Van Morrison at the Grand Opera House, second track side 1, Dweller on the Threshold. This whole album is a bit "brighter" than the one put up earlier, so might give another look at the highs. The track is fairly dynamic, with a fair bit of snap going on.

sample track

Fran

With this record I have no quibbles regarding the tonality, this Itch seems well scratched.:D

*I checked again my listening position RTA for my PC desktop spkrs the other day. Beyond a room mode from the sub, its balanced enough. Can't hear the 100Hz nowhere as heavy as it looks, you know with subs it takes a room average to see better.

Attachments

• CreativePCspkrsEQed.jpg
    CreativePCspkrsEQed.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 397