Valve Itch phono

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
looking forward to it!

The thing is..... the itch is a lot easier to build than the ono with a lower parts count. Might be cheaper too.

Have you tried different valves? I've never found that much difference between different brands of the same valve, but I have some 6N2P-ev here to try sometime. I used the ordinary 6n2 because I had a matched pair....

Fran

You will like to try 6N2P-EV bcs of its low leakage & microphony, and 6N8S FOTON or MELZ bcs of their being the Russian Sylvanias & Bendixes of yore.

I will try the 6n2p-ev tonight.

I don't know about the 6N8S - I don't know what factory my ones came from - there aren't any marks on the tubes, bar the "6H8C" and "8706". Maybe the "8706" is a date code june 1987?

On the base (phenolic) there is a diamond with a "0" and a triangle with a "1" in it. Getter is in a small cup at the bottom of the tube, and the plates are grey. Came in boxes like the ones shown here:
P1050761.jpg

Fran

I tried out the 6n2p ev.....

I tried a pair in both positions, then one in each. None of that sounded nearly as good as the plain ones 6n2p from langrex on Ebay. The 6n2p ev are from the voshkod factory, date code 9203. The 6n2p are reflektor and have an unusual double mica spacer at the top of the tube. The first pic shows the 6n2p reflektor:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And this one is the 6n2p-ev voshkod:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It wasn't even a close thing - the bass was really muddy and much less clarity (and more likely to be sibilant) with the -ev valves. I'm surprised at this, because I've tried a bit of tube swapping over the years, and really its never made much difference. A friend has a valve output CDP though, and the type of 12au7 in that made a large difference.

Maybe I've just got a bad tube of course......

Fran

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Weird, we used 6N2P-EV 2 times without such dissonant traits. Very low microphony and very balanced. Is there a possibility you got a bad match for gain between channels by having only two to try? Takes measurements. When having a fine pair of plain 6N2P that you like, no big deal OTOH.

Its possible - I noticed with one of them that I thought the balance was off a little to one side. That may well be the cause.

I don't have a valve tester, but I suppose I'd be better measuring in circuit if needs be. I don't think its worth while however, as the ordinary 6N2P sound very very good.....

Fran

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I know K72 as Teflon. But as P-6 or -11. Can I see a pic of the K72y? I recommended the k72 0.047uF as inter-stage coupler and the FT-3 as a bypass to the main output coupler. They do combine very well with K75-10 hybrid green as main IMHO. But its worth a try to bypass whatever you got as output cap with the FT-3 anyway. There are enough types they marry well, some not of course. If you will find the K72 0.047uF objectionable, you can save the FT-3 for testing as inter-stage too, they have different signatures. Do ground their metal cans when used as inter-stage (both types).

Yes, sorry, my mistake, they are K72 P6. I also bought some MGBO types to try on the outputs. I've attached a few pics below. I used the MGBO on my pass ono to great effect, so thought it would be worth trying them on the outputs of the valve itch too. I bypassed them in the ono with some wima fkp, but on the pass forum Zen Mod recommended using some MKC for bypasses. So I have some of those as well.

So, first up will be the K72P-6 0.047uF for interstage. Then I'll try the MGBO with either FT-3 or MKC on the outputs. Of course all this is for a phonostage which is already top notch, so I do ask myself why am i even doing it!!? :)

Fran

Attachments

• IMAG0052.jpg
    IMAG0052.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 388
  • IMAG0053.jpg
    IMAG0053.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 243
More listening comments later....

but first, I made a short video tonight of my TT. What might be of interest to you here is the audio. The recording was made using a Zoom H1 recorder, mounted on a tripod at ear height in my normal listening spot. The music is John Grant, the Two of Us, from a Mojo (magazine) release a while back of Beatles covers. This is the first track on the LP. So the set up you can see in the video, and of course, the phonostage is the Valve Itch!!

I hope it gives some idea of what it sounds like in my setup. Bear in mind, that you are hearing it through the recorders ears, then the audio processing of youttube etc.....

YouTube - ‪Needle Drop.mp4‬‏

Fran

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
More listening comments later....

but first, I made a short video tonight of my TT. What might be of interest to you here is the audio. The recording was made using a Zoom H1 recorder, mounted on a tripod at ear height in my normal listening spot. The music is John Grant, the Two of Us, from a Mojo (magazine) release a while back of Beatles covers. This is the first track on the LP. So the set up you can see in the video, and of course, the phonostage is the Valve Itch!!

I hope it gives some idea of what it sounds like in my setup. Bear in mind, that you are hearing it through the recorders ears, then the audio processing of youttube etc.....

YouTube - ‪Needle Drop.mp4‬‏

Fran

Nice video. But the audio level seems low on my PC. Can't you record directly off the preamp's output? I can hear the room reverberation.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
We did, my PC speakers are flattened with digital EQ at ear level and distance when seated in front of my PC through cal mic and FFT, its low in level and misses highs, has some room echo in the bass too. Don't use the X/Y mics, wire it up!:D What about the USSR Teflons?

Interstage teflons in place and they add clarity alright - not huge, but there. It doesn't seem to have affected the sound - and the soundstage is still there. I've only had 2 short listens since I put them in though.....

I find myself reluctant to change anything else....

I should add that the video was really a video learning exercise (see if i could sync up audio and video, edit clips etc etc). Also, theres a long running argument that quads can't do bass, and that low thump after the first verse helps dispel that myth a bit.

I'll wire it up, although honestly I don't know how it will sound as I only have the Zoom H1 on load and don't know how it performs on mic in.

Fran > bed!

Yep - the 0.047uf K72.

Now don't tell me that you would not tweak the output caps also, add a second SSHV, etc. at a future height of inspiration. I don't buy it.

Aaargh!! I gotta stop and call this thing finished sometime!!! :)

Now next question. I made the recording directly from the itch to the zoom H1. But how can I share it? Its ~ 30mB and I don't want to infringe any copyright issues here either.

Fran