Valve Itch phono - Page 24 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2011, 09:54 AM   #231
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

I asked Michael to match a pair for me so the values are 15.06 and 15.08
I believe these are 600v .
Old 13th May 2011, 01:54 PM   #232
diyAudio Member

Better if you tell to Michael that you want 600V.
Old 13th May 2011, 10:04 PM   #233
diyAudio Member

As a matter of fact I asked for 600v and that is what I got.

After 3 days burining, these are finally showing themselves and the highs are now very clear and extended. I also apreciate the female voices that are much more real and somehow more forward than with the micas.

I have been listening to Mahler´s Kindertotenlieder and the voices are really beautifull.
Old 14th May 2011, 02:15 AM   #234
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Mahler and late romantics in general are a tough program. If it can pull through his second it would be no mean feat. But then again some Earth's Song lyricism would be soothing.
Old 14th May 2011, 08:38 AM   #235
diyAudio Member

About subjective sound in 15nF caps:

SM more sharp & focused
PS more spatial or more open like a very good super tweeter

So all depends of each one taste or looking for.
Old 14th May 2011, 09:49 PM   #236
diyAudio Member

Well, I've been working hard at this over the last few days... well, ok, not working hard, but listening hard!

I now have a really really really good phonostage I think!!

The first change was the coupling caps. I did have some k40Y-9 0.1uF 600V (metal can ones) in there, and changed them out for some k42Y-2 0.1uF 1000V (green ones). Well the improvement in spatiality and clarity was pretty large. This was a major step forward.

So I was happy that I was on the right track ...... so now I went back to look again at the silver mica vs k40Y-9 caps in the RIAA. If you remember, the SMs were 15.7nF and the K40Y-9 measured a little lower at 15.3nF (many many thanks to vgeorge for these caps).

Again, a really good improvement, but this time it was more about the highs and lows. It seems there may be a little improvement in the clarity, but thats probably wrapped up in the better highs.

The sound now is very open and clear, great side to side and depth in the soundstage. It still had that really nice treatment of voices - it pulls off this trick where the singer stands forward from the rest of the music. The other thing is that it seems very "fast" and dynamic. By this I mean bass and treble are very tight, stops and starts of notes are very clean.

Other things I did are to add back in the MM inputs - I did the same trick of adding 2 x 0.01uF caps from input ground to chassis ground to keep hum out. The result is zero added noise and I did do a quick test (albeit with my LOMC cart) and it does work, just with lower volume. I don't have a MM so that will have to wait for a while.

I tightened everything up and put the sleeve back on the box, and I have to say, it is looking nice now I think!

I have yet to order the other russian caps etc etc (my paypal is down because some bastard got my CC details, used it fraudently and I had to set up a new CC with paypal.... thats still not through yet). So the main things left to experiment with are the TF-3 coupling caps and something else as the output caps. The tonal balance seems very "right" to my ears, so I feel no impulse to trick about with the cartridge loading.

finally some pics:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...1&d=1305409449

You can see the shunt and the 2 heater regs, and then the platform that holsd the valves. At the rear you can see the input transformers.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...1&d=1305409449

One more interesting thing. The left hand 6N2 in that pic is the input valve. if I put my fingers around it, I get an increased/decreased hum - doesn't happen with any of the other valves. I put a valve shield over it and get the same effect - if I push the shield down so it contacts the chassis the hum drops away. Its not an issue really - I won't be listening with my hand around the input valve! But if you are building this and have some bases that can take shields, it might be worth using one for this valve.

Anyway - I've easily played 20 albums today since powering up and it seems very stable!! What a nice way to spend most of a day... and beats the Eurovision any day!!

Fran
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0020.jpg (44.2 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0022.jpg (47.9 KB, 266 views)
Old 14th May 2011, 10:44 PM   #237
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Very good results. Congratulations. Did you listen to it on your stacked Quads also? A check on them using your Ono as reference for some A/B will be very revealing of where your build stands by now or what way to head it for tweak. The pure impulse response of dipole statics is a ruthless tool.
Old 14th May 2011, 11:05 PM   #238
diyAudio Member

Yes, benz l2, roksan tabriz mk2 arm, replinthed lenco, itch, 6sn7 aikido pre, st70 with kt66s and the stacked quads.

I plan to try it with the other system soon......
Old 14th May 2011, 11:09 PM   #239
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Hey, you are not joking I see, that is an accomplished sound check system. Did sanity checks with other phonos?
Old 14th May 2011, 11:12 PM   #240
diyAudio Member

Can you post a pic of your TT ?

BTW.... nice build

Hide this!Advertise here!