Valve Itch phono

Hi everyone,

I've been a little quiet on here lately... moving house so I've been quiet everywhere else too.

I've still only got the valves and transformers for this project, so this cap buy could push me along. How much to post 4x15nF and 4x47nF to Melbourne, Australia?

Thanks for putting in the legwork guys.

Tani.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
P.S. Did you do any new nice recordings to sample here by the way? Its magic we can listen to a diy machine from Ireland with just few clicks and by dragging a mouse. As for others it seems it will take time to repeat. Not an easy project to most.

Yep!!

Didn't do any more recordings yet... might do soon though!! What about a bit of muddy waters folk singer or maybe JLH, serves me right to suffer. Fantastic sound on both of them....

Fran

Oh ... you like Amerikan blues. Try some Swamp Blues on Excello label. Slim Harpo, Wispering Smith, Mississippi Fred McDowell ... Any of the blues on Excello will be THE BEST LP recordings you've heard.

BTW - just lurking on this thread, as I'm a DIY phono guy and thinking about this one..I'm always looking for a GREAT phono pre I can build myself. I just happen to be into swamp blues and delta blues, you know that Southern Mississippi delta thing. You just have to go there and feel and hear it live ... dance little critters... yeah u right!

Cheers,
Bob

Anyone else built one of these... you don't know what you're missing!!!

As for others it seems it will take time to repeat. Not an easy project to most.

It's on my list too, even though I'm very happy listening to another Salas design - the nj-FET riaa, shunt regulated of course!! I'm still at the very early stages on the 'Itch', but if I don't get any more distractions along the way (!) I hope to complete it by the new year.

Lots of Thanks to Salas for your designs and to all builders who have/are sharing their experience on this great site.

JoeA

Following the request for a few new samples with the itch:

So here are the tracks:

1. STE-000.flac is Good Morning Little Schoolgirl by Muddy Waters from the Folk Singer album.
2. STE-001.flac is Country Boy by John Lee Hooker from Serves Me Right to Suffer.
3. STE-002.flac is Bridge Over Troubled Water from the MFSL 1/2 speed mastered LP
4. STE-003.flac is Shoulders from Larry Jon Wilson eponymous album.

Links:

https://rapidshare.com/files/483137785/STE-000.flac
https://rapidshare.com/files/1367913183/STE-001.flac
https://rapidshare.com/files/4001876657/STE-002.flac
https://rapidshare.com/files/1410477025/STE-003.flac

So, there might be the odd little bit of digital clipping here and there, but I didn't go back and re-record because, its infrequent and its obvious that its not anything else. You can hear the sizzle in the back of the Bridge Over Troubled Water track – that album needs a clean!! There's a few clicks on the Muddy Waters one I think.....

Enjoy, and let me know what you think. Recordings are all made from the setup shown below, Zoom H2 recorder connected via cheapo leads to the itch, deck is a replinthed lenco with a roksan tabriz arm and Benz L2 cart.

Fran

Attachments

• IMAG0183-2.jpg
    IMAG0183-2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 469
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Enjoy, and let me know what you think. Recordings are all made from the setup shown below, Zoom H2 recorder connected via cheapo leads to the itch, deck is a replinthed lenco with a roksan tabriz arm and Benz L2 cart.

Fran

Just had a listen to those files. Correct tonality in replay (Riaa done OK), dynamic, distinct and warm at the same time. I can feel you had pushed the digital recorder's input dynamic range to the limit (clips some times even) and its impressive I could hear no hum or hiss from your build in the background with so high an input sensitivity. Especially in blues that had pauses where noise could creep in to relief. Bridge Over Troubled Water felt lush piano as it should, though the vocal has indistinct recording production with tacky reverb effect. I would rate Johnny Cash cover well above that one. Well executed, silent build. Congratulations.:)

Magnetic base around the circuitry...

I started working on my build of the "Valve Itch". It will be a p2p job using tag boards/strips on a metal base to hold the whole structure. I've just realised the metal base I'm using is magnetic.

Obviously, all electrical connections will be insulated from the base, but will it create problems if I use the magnetic metal base I've already cut and drilled?!?!? I hate having to do it all over again!!

Thanks and regards,
Joe A

Hello,

Want to thank Salas for his efforts in sharing the "Itch", & everyone who has provided info helpful in getting one built.

My build is still in the part gathering phase and will be slowed somewhat by other unfinished projects. I do have the 977's, 6n2p-ev's, and 6n1p-ev's (Melz metalbase 6h8c prices... ouch! ).

In post #24, Salas indicated the 6n1p would likely do fine in circuit as is, so I'll try that 1st. I'll just order additional resistor values to allow experimenting with bias as the 6n1p is reported to sound its best closer to 190V, 10 mA.

Would it be just R9 & R11 to change, with R10 left as is & R7 increased to drop additional volt. to keep 6n2p's @ 240V?

If I used the shunt reg from post # 967 in the Simplistic Mosfet HV thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/134801-simplistic-mosfet-hv-shunt-regs-97.html
and changed Q2 to MPSA94 & R3,4 to 82k & 220k, would it do up to 380Vout safely?

At a B+ of 380V, would top tier valves be OK referenced @190V, or should voltage divider in Psu be changed to keep reference @ 150V?

Hope I didn't ask too many questions :smirk:, and TIA !
Peter

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello,

Want to thank Salas for his efforts in sharing the "Itch", & everyone who has provided info helpful in getting one built.

My build is still in the part gathering phase and will be slowed somewhat by other unfinished projects. I do have the 977's, 6n2p-ev's, and 6n1p-ev's (Melz metalbase 6h8c prices... ouch! ).

In post #24, Salas indicated the 6n1p would likely do fine in circuit as is, so I'll try that 1st. I'll just order additional resistor values to allow experimenting with bias as the 6n1p is reported to sound its best closer to 190V, 10 mA.

Would it be just R9 & R11 to change, with R10 left as is & R7 increased to drop additional volt. to keep 6n2p's @ 240V?

If I used the shunt reg from post # 967 in the Simplistic Mosfet HV thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/134801-simplistic-mosfet-hv-shunt-regs-97.html
and changed Q2 to MPSA94 & R3,4 to 82k & 220k, would it do up to 380Vout safely?

At a B+ of 380V, would top tier valves be OK referenced @190V, or should voltage divider in Psu be changed to keep reference @ 150V?

Hope I didn't ask too many questions :smirk:, and TIA !
Peter

To go 380V will be dangerous for SSHV's reliability and will cause heat in the reg. Attempting it would need R5=5k6 in the reg link cct since MPSA94 is giving its max Vceo spec 400V at only 1mA. Also better is to sink the MPSA somehow.
Also 10mA is possible it will bring noise issues in the second stage. I would just drop in the 6N1P for 48dB gain at 300V B+ as in the standard Itch.
Referencing the heaters should be set for not exceeding all tubes heater to cathode max specs if B+ is to be changed.

Hi Salas,

I have a couple questions about this preamp design. My cartridge is a Rega bias 2 with about 7mv output. I wouldn't need the step up at all. I saw in an earlier post you recommended a 3.3k resistor instead of the 47k would that hold for my cartridge? And I saw where Sy recommended a cap across the input? Is that your recommendation as well? I have some matched vintage 6Sn7's, Sylvania's and GE's mostly. Would a JJ 12AX7 be a suitable preamp tube? Are there any other changes you can think of that might be necessary. I bought a couple of Tom Christensen's regulator boards do they seem appropriate?

What, in your opinion is the sweetest, roundest coupling cap? (Not related for another project that is just too bright for metalized polypropylene.)

Kevin