Valve Itch phono

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Would you care to think about this and if you find it interesting enough propose a circuit? I would give it a go at once...

Sorry Salas- I forgot - Please :)

Regards

There was an old thread about an MC pre-pre solution based on 2X 2SK170BL from the older simplistic phono preamp version's PDF instructions. It had its own chip reg and cap multiplier filter. There were some happy builders.

I could add a 20dB gain FSP based pre-pre there when I will find the time to study a schematic.

There was an old thread about an MC pre-pre solution based on 2X 2SK170BL from the older simplistic phono preamp version's PDF instructions. It had its own chip reg and cap multiplier filter. There were some happy builders.

I could add a 20dB gain FSP based pre-pre there when I will find the time to study a schematic.

Hi Salas. Why not use the sk369's as first line for past 60dB gain?
The rest of the supporting circuits just have to be follow and they are several.

Regards

Because its better to keep the original K369 choice in an FSP style pre-pre so to know what to expect

Would you be kind to elaborate on this? I do respect your claim on that it would be better because you say so. It is the second part that puzzels me.
The reasons I can think of is that it would be overkill, they might be rare so it is better to save them for a proven circuit...

Regards

Can´t I elevate all 4 tubes to 95-100v so that I can have 1 6N2P and 6SN7 peer channel??

Choose a value in the middle between the two cathodes and check datasheet allowance.

Even within allowances it can affect sound though since the clearence of the heater and the cathode is often just a thin layer of oxide. (Note that I said can affect sound, I did not say for the better or for the worse)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If you will decrease it by few nF the upper bass circa 100Hz bumps. If you will leave it alone and increase the 50K resistor by few k the low bass around 30Hz will bump. If you will perform both mentioned actions together the whole region below 800 Hz rises in an angle.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Interesting explanation Salas, I ask because I'm comparing the vinyl sound vs the DSD noDAC sound and DSD noDAC sounds with more in lows & lows-mids, vinyl sounds less solid vs DSD noDAC.

I am disappointed in yet not finding a combination of USB DAC + drivers + player software that stay steady in neutral tone each time I change one parameter or software layer. Whatever tweak makes your speakers sounding most balanced in your room for most of your vinyl discs is a down to earth practical approach in personal DIY use.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Lundahl LL 1683, for heaters I will use the two 6.6VAC 3A each, for B+ I'm paralleling the two 250VAC 80mA to have 250VAC 160mA.

I am disappointed in yet not finding a combination of USB DAC + drivers + player software that stay steady in neutral tone each time I change one parameter or software layer. Whatever tweak makes your speakers sounding most balanced in your room for most of your vinyl discs is a down to earth practical approach in personal DIY use.

Try the same combo I'm using:

Amanero USB-I2S
noDAC only LPF 1st order RC or 4th order LCLC (actually using thanks to abraxalito diya member)
Daphile player (free) Daphile – Digital Music Convenience for Audiophiles

N.B. Daphile set to convert all PCM files to DSD files.

If possible use a powerfull PC intel I7 17Gb RAM to avoid dropouts when Daphile converts on the fly PCM to DSD files.

Avoid 1st order RC LPF because I listened digital noise.

Salas where can connect one LED to show PSU is powered?

I don't have any regulators inside PSU box.

For 4th order LPF LCLC don't use use aire core inductors, I use Jantzen wax coils with great success, for resistors used Welwyn RC55 & Shinkoh both superb.

Whatever tweak makes your speakers sounding most balanced in your room for most of your vinyl discs is a down to earth practical approach in personal DIY use.

I'm sorry Salas I don't understand this phrase?

Attachments

• 1683.pdf
    25.6 KB · Views: 40
  • merlinLC 195R.png
    merlinLC 195R.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 210
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'm sorry Salas I don't understand this phrase?

I meant not sure if trying to emulate a digital reference's tone for a good press vinyl version replay is best goal. Better is to change whatever you change in the TT or phono, like little RIAA values play, to try have good tone i.e. neither heavy nor bright for the most range of your records possible. In your own specific system and space. Since digital replay hardware & software vary too but vinyl also if not even more.