FM tuner suggestions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2009, 03:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default FM tuner suggestions

I searched, didn't come up with much- Maybe not many of you use radio often?
Is there anything significant to consider here? I'm looking to use it with a small tube amp (S5 electronics K-12G, specifically)
I'd like it to be reliable, accurate, and under $100, used or new. I don't imagine that FM is high enough quality to require anything extravagant.
Old 9th March 2009, 03:52 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've personally gone over to HD Radio, and it's great.
Give it a shot.

I use the Sangean HDT-1X with a dac. The sound is wonderful.
For $100 you should try out the Sony XDRF1HD

-West
Old 9th March 2009, 04:21 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

West, Thanks!
That sony model looks great. Right in the price range, easy digital tuning, and the unexpected benefit of HD!
I can't find anything more detailed than "Audio Out" as the output, is it safe to assume that this is RCAs? Can't find a picture of the back either.
Old 9th March 2009, 04:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yep RCAs

-West
Old 9th March 2009, 04:33 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

It seems like the quality of FM radio has been declining for a long time. Apparently HD radio hasn't helped it any, though I don't know the details of why it would interfere. HD radio may sound good, but it really rubs me the wrong way when they claim "CD quality sound", and let the consumer assume that HD means high definition. It means nothing of the sort, and is only a brand name. Anyone interested in this should read the Wikipedia entry on it. I recently bought a Yamaha T-85 tuner, fairly highly regarded, but given the current FM quality, it was sort of a waste of money.
Old 9th March 2009, 04:36 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yes,
HD is not 'High Definition' but it does sound better than FM radio IMHO.

My sangean does both, and there is a clear difference between the two.

-West

Edit: This is a market ploy, and a bad example IHMO, and while it was an actual test, the location was probably strategically chosen. However, I do notice change like this, just not as bad. Not sure why NPR was pushing HD radio...
http://www.npr.org/everywhere/digita...reloader1.html

(I also love the Freddie Mac comment, creating a nation of homeowners....obviously this was not made recently.)
Old 9th March 2009, 04:45 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'm not expecting CD quality sound, just something so I can scrap my sony 3 CD/2 tape/ am/fm/aux in all-in-one setup without losing radio-listening ability.

Now, if I can just figure out how to switch between them, ideally without lots of plugging & unplugging RCA, also without sound quality loss.. see my post in "everything else" if you want to contribute to that
Old 11th March 2009, 02:34 AM   #8
BrianL is offline BrianL  United States
diyAudio Member

Google for Sony XDR-F1HD. Read the reviews, consider the deficiencies (especially self-heating) and what other DIYers have done with it. Very good value.
Old 11th March 2009, 03:22 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have a Pioneer TX-9500 -- recommended on the Yahoo FM-Tuners group and I heartily concur. It beats the pants off the Linn unit (the Scot's should be embarrassed by the performance of the Linn.)
I also have a Pioneer SX-838 which is also very good. The latter receiver was subject to an "amp-ectomy" in which the BJT amplifier section was replaced by an LM4702 and lateral MOSFETs.

A good antenna is the first, best investment in any case. I am using a 6-element yagi which is now trimmed midway between 93.9 and 96.3 MHz While a lot of folks are throwing their brickbats at FM, the stations in these exurbs of NY are competing very nicely -- like WQXR, WNYC, WFUV and WBGO. It seems that since they have all been "web-iff-ied" they have learned to compete.

Oh, while you're at it, there's some really great stuff on A.M. these days!
Old 11th March 2009, 03:52 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

www.fmtunerinfo.com

Hide this!Advertise here!