FM tuner suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I searched, didn't come up with much- Maybe not many of you use radio often?
Is there anything significant to consider here? I'm looking to use it with a small tube amp (S5 electronics K-12G, specifically)
I'd like it to be reliable, accurate, and under $100, used or new. I don't imagine that FM is high enough quality to require anything extravagant.

It seems like the quality of FM radio has been declining for a long time. Apparently HD radio hasn't helped it any, though I don't know the details of why it would interfere. HD radio may sound good, but it really rubs me the wrong way when they claim "CD quality sound", and let the consumer assume that HD means high definition. It means nothing of the sort, and is only a brand name. Anyone interested in this should read the Wikipedia entry on it. I recently bought a Yamaha T-85 tuner, fairly highly regarded, but given the current FM quality, it was sort of a waste of money.

Yes,
HD is not 'High Definition' but it does sound better than FM radio IMHO.

My sangean does both, and there is a clear difference between the two.

-West

Edit: This is a market ploy, and a bad example IHMO, and while it was an actual test, the location was probably strategically chosen. However, I do notice change like this, just not as bad. Not sure why NPR was pushing HD radio...
http://www.npr.org/everywhere/digital/finalplayer/preloader1.html

(I also love the Freddie Mac comment, creating a nation of homeowners....obviously this was not made recently.)

I'm not expecting CD quality sound, just something so I can scrap my sony 3 CD/2 tape/ am/fm/aux in all-in-one setup without losing radio-listening ability.

Now, if I can just figure out how to switch between them, ideally without lots of plugging & unplugging RCA, also without sound quality loss.. see my post in "everything else" if you want to contribute to that :rolleyes:

I have a Pioneer TX-9500 -- recommended on the Yahoo FM-Tuners group and I heartily concur. It beats the pants off the Linn unit (the Scot's should be embarrassed by the performance of the Linn.)
I also have a Pioneer SX-838 which is also very good. The latter receiver was subject to an "amp-ectomy" in which the BJT amplifier section was replaced by an LM4702 and lateral MOSFETs.

A good antenna is the first, best investment in any case. I am using a 6-element yagi which is now trimmed midway between 93.9 and 96.3 MHz While a lot of folks are throwing their brickbats at FM, the stations in these exurbs of NY are competing very nicely -- like WQXR, WNYC, WFUV and WBGO. It seems that since they have all been "web-iff-ied" they have learned to compete.

Oh, while you're at it, there's some really great stuff on A.M. these days!

Hey Jackinnj, nice Pioneer!

My father has an old Realistic that still works quite nicely and always did sound pretty good. (I think it's a TM-1001)

I bought a Denon TU-660 a few years ago for <$100 as my main tuner. Not bad, nothing special. Sounds pretty good. I don't have trouble pulling in stations since I'm using a rooftop antenna. (but there are lots of ways to buy or build decent antenna's)

All things considered, I have to second the idea of getting an HD tuner. The sangean was on my short list until I bought a new home theater processor that has HD radio built in. I don't listen "critically" to radio much so it just matters that it sounds decent. With HD there's a bit less noise, and overall sounds good. I might not say it sounds superb (but then I haven't really given a close listen...)

The denon is now my garage radio for the time being unless I can find space for a little two channel setup in the house ;-)

if you don't care about HDRadio then there are plenty of tuner deals on ebay, craigslist, local hifi shops (if they do any trade ins) and swap meets as well...

-Chris

Get the Sony XDRF1HD and don't look back. This tuner is an absolute steal. It beats the pants off of my modded Mitsubishi DA-F20, my Kenwood L-07T, and my Nakamichi 430. I compared it to a friend's Day-Sequerra FM Reference and we both thought the Sony was better. (My pal wasn't too happy about this....) Hook it to a good antenna and you will be very happy.

I got mine for about $85 on Amazon.

It has RCA jack outputs, F connector for the FM antenna, and 2 springloaded connectors (like those found on many mainstream speakers) for the AM loop antenna.

The problem with FM is the source material. Output from most commercial stations in the UK is dire - over compressed with every station trying to sound louder than the next for car listeners.

The only decent sound is from a few live broadcast on BBC 3/4, but who wants to listen to that all the time?

So I'm afraid the better the tuner the more you'll hear just how crappy most stations are.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.