Rega Planar 2 Turntable running slow

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The above, fitted with, as far as I know, the original Premotec 110v motor, and a 12k series resistor to adapt it to UK 230/240vac mains, runs about 5% slow, despite cleaning and relubing the main bearing(I have used a few drops of a brand of light oil called '3-in-1', popular here in the UK). I will also fit a new drive belt
The motor stops instantly, even with no load-i.e.- belt removed, once power is turned off, making me suspect that a replacement is required
Am I correct, or does anyone have any other suggestions? This T/T is over 20 years old.

Incidentally, I do feel that the way the motor is mounted is rather, if I may say so, crude. Is there any reason why it shouln't be screwed to it's mounting plate thru rubber grommets or bushes. That way it would still 'float', absorbing any vibrations present, but be better suspended and centered than just being held in place by what is, or appears to be, a rubber belt!!

I just report the problem I had when I bought my demo Rega Planar 3 (but please forgive my English). When I mounted the turntable for the first time at home I had the same problem: slower speed and instantly stop at switch off. After some days I found in the box a small iron ball which went out, during transportation, by the hole in the centre of the turntable. When I again put inside the hole the ball, the problem was solved.

Check if you have this ball which strongly reduces friction

Renato

In reply to the posts by Panicos K and Northern Sky, the steel ball bearing is definetly present, so that's not the cause of the problem(Incidentally, Renato, your English is much better than my non-existent Italian!!) I have on order a replacement motor, drive belt, and some of the correct Rega-approved Oil, so will see what happens when I have fitted the motor and cleaned/relubed the bearing again. One thing I WON'T be doing is replacing the plastic sub-platter with an all-metal one, which is available from Music Direct, but it costs $175, plus carriage & tax.
Thanks for telling me that the motor does stop virtually instantly with no load. I would certainly expext any motor to continue spinning for a short time after the power was removed.

To conclude I have now found out that 12k is the correct vaue of 2.5w series resistor fitted by Rega to UK market turntable motors. By my calculations this reduces the curren through the motor from 16-18mA to around 11mA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.