Pink Link Power Supply for LP12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2009, 07:47 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Pink Link Power Supply for LP12

Hello all,

I have had my LP12 with the Pink Link Battery Power Supply since the early 90's and absolutely love it.

However, I believe it is showing signs of aging. There are times that I can listen for 3-4 hours without a problem, but other times it will be playing fine and then the platter slows.

I've replaced the belt, the oil in the bearing, the battery in the supply.

I don't know if the motor is dying.....would it help to lubricate the motor shaft with a drop or two of sewing machine oil?

I don't know if the power supply is dying....bad capacitors or regulator chips?

I'm hoping that with all the knowledgable people on this forum, that maybe someone has come across this problem already and can share their experiences with me or that someone may have some ideas how to fix this.

Sorry for the long post, but I am looking forward to all and any suggestions.

Thank you.
Old 11th February 2009, 11:37 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sewing machine oil might help but it won't last,try a thick oil and just one drop will be enough.I would start by replacing all electrolytic caps first.
Old 13th February 2009, 06:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you Panikos for your reply. I truly appreciate your suggestions.

I'm curious if there are any other people out there that may also have some ideas or that may have experienced simalar problems as this?

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me.
Old 13th February 2009, 06:48 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Alternatively you could e-mail thefunkfirm.co.uk who are the same people who designed the Pink Link and ask them what you can do.
Old 13th February 2009, 04:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Panicos K
Alternatively you could e-mail thefunkfirm.co.uk who are the same people who designed the Pink Link and ask them what you can do.

I had tried that back when the table first started to show symptoms of the problem. Arthur basically said that it is so old that he no longer has schematics for the supply and didn't know if the problem was with the motor or the supply. He was however enthusiasctic to sell me his new K-drive and motor kit though. I'm sure it is very nice, but with the state of this economy, I'm in fear of losing my job and don't feel comfortable with spending roughly $1,000 US dollars on that. Besides, this power supply has turned my LP12 into the best Linn table I have ever had. I'd be tickled pink if I could be able to continue to use it.

I was hoping there might be a somewhat easy fix or diagnosis.

I also heard that the designer of this power supply (John Westlake) frequents this forum and was hoping hi might be willing to offer a suggestion to point me in the right direction.

Thank you for your help and suggestions Panicos K, it is much appreciated.

Hide this!Advertise here!