oscillator recommendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello guys...i want to build a synth.
for a start let it be a monophonic one [i have no idea as yet of how to implement the polyphony/multitimbre etc.]

so the source of the synth should be some kind of osc.
probably a VCO.

i would like to have recommendations on VCOs chips and why do you recommend them...

thanks in advance.

bye.
M.

Should this not be in the "music instruments" thread?

Look for something like a XR8038, max038, XR2206 for an analog one or the ML2035 for a digital one.

If you can find them, Curtis made great stuff for that, long long ago.

Or build it discrete. I know there is an example in one of Walter G. Jung opamp books. Probably more in the Linear Semiconductor Linear databooks.

If you want to build a monophonic synth, the name "Moog" springs to my mind...

Those were modularized synthesizers "programmed" by patch cords... Elektor published an implementation of this idea back in 1977 - I still have the articles. It was called "Formant". There was also a book available. Maybe this is a starting point, although absolutely outdated (they were using 741 and the likes).

There are some GREAT sites on the web doing DIY synth stuff already. Try google ...

I think the days of single chip VCO are pretty much gone unless you find some SSM or Curtis ICs for sale on ebay. Even then, the devices would be pretty expensive (I have some SSM VCOs and VCFs, but they are not for sale :no: ).

There are LOTS of discrete oscillator designs floating around. Some of them are pretty good and they range from very simple to pretty complex. The tricky part is solving the log converter temperature stability problem. Years ago, there was a pretty device for this (I think they were UA726 - matched, high performance transistors in an oven) but those devices haven't been built for years and are even more rare than than the SSM ICs! Many designs now use a cheap CA3045 or CA3046 transistor array in a sort of makeshift oven arrangement or use a special tempco resistor in the V to I converter.

I bought some PCBs based on designs from Electronics For Music here.

There is also some good info on the ASM-1 synth that may be of interest to you here.

This link may help you search further.

And here

Good luck and have fun. DIY synth stuff is fun, even if you can't play a keyboard (like me ;) )

mlloyd1

And Jocko, you've got Moog manuals around there too? My god man, what don't you have?:eek:

bilbobagginz said:
hello guys...i want to build a synth.
for a start let it be a monophonic one....
so the source of the synth should be some kind of osc.
probably a VCO.
M.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.