Cartridge for ar77 turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I know this question gets asked soo much and is really quite boring but it is keeping me awake at night (well not quite literally but...), i have done lots of searching btw... :

I have an old ar 77 (think xb) turntable which i am refurbishing, it was meant to be pretty ok in its day, and I need to buy it a half decent phono cartridge.

I am on a pretty tight budged with all this, I have an old ortofon vms20e mkii body but no stylus, a replacement is £75 which is quite a lot on a student budget without even knowing the condition of the body, I have seen replament non original styli for £15 but would these be up to it?

O)rtherwise I could go for a new cartridge, what are peoples opinions on the 2m red (£60ish) or is there something better around that price.

Oh I listen to mainly rock type stuff and some 'pop' and prefer a richer fuller sound, dont want anything overly bright but i dont want it to sound dull either.

Any sugestions are most welcome.

Cheers Chris

(sorry this is not the briefest of posts)

Hi,

The spec (1.6mV) is about 1/3 of normal output (5mV@5cm/s),
it has been measured to be 2.2mV@5cm/s = about a half.

That is ~ 6dB, but it has low impedance and inductance, in reality
with a real MM phono stage it will be quieter by a fair margin at
high frequencies than typical MM. (Grado's are an exception).

For a typical MM noise at high frequencies is determined by the 47K
loading resistor due to internal inductance decoupling the typical
~ 1K source impedance at low frequencies.

:)/sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.