vinyl to digital - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2008, 12:17 PM   #21
Werner is offline Werner  Europe
diyAudio Member

>Perhaps, instead, try blaming the imperfect filters used in the DAC process.

CD-player manufacturer marketing notwithstanding there's not too much wrong with those.

Try blaming the ADC anti-aliasing filters. That's a different kettle of fish!
Old 25th December 2008, 12:57 PM   #22
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Merry Christmas folks!

While I agree the LP sounds - by and large - more 'natural' than CD in many cases, I do actually think that it's a conceit. I think CD is the more accurate music storage medium.

I think it's the manipulation of the signal which occurs before it can be pressed to vinyl which helps create that 'LP sound', plus the combined effects of the RIAA equalisation, the summing up of the bass information below a certain frequency to stop the needle jumping out of the groove, surface noise, arm and cartridge set up parameters, and so forth...

I'm still surprised no 'golden ears' magazine has tried the following to put this cd vs LP debate to bed:

In collaboration with a record label, get a CD copy an an album master.

Get a first-gen copy of the LP master, onto a CD.

Play the 'proper' CD.

Play the LP master CD through an RIAA stage and see which one comes up tops in the sound quality stakes.

Anyone know if the above is 1) possible and 2) would highlight the differences?

I think all the processes which go into being able to put music onto an LP result in a pleasing sound to most people. Whereas CD can sound too clean.

Funnily enough, when I create LP rips using 24/96 (and even 16/44.1) they often end up containing a great deal of the original LP 'warmth' and 'sound', which seems to suggest to me CD is perectly capable of transmitting the sound of the original source. providing the life hasn't been mastered out of it.....

Just my 2 worth
Old 25th December 2008, 05:57 PM   #23
djsb is offline djsb  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I'm going to be trying out my new Sony MZ-RH1 Minidisk recorder next week. It records to a 1GB HI-MD disk in Linear PCM (uncompressed).
I'll be recording a couple of vinyl LP's on to the Minidisk to test it out.
It can then be downloaded to a PC without restriction.
The sound quality on this device is amazing, vastly superior to MP3 (which it also plays back).
Why not consider this method?

David.
Old 25th December 2008, 11:56 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Your idea is good, and MD have very lovely playing sound, and no shock problems I think, resistive to vibrations.
Old 27th December 2008, 11:16 PM   #25
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

How about those Zoom H2 and H4 flash recorders? Those record to SDHC cards at various bit rates/depths (lossless). SDHC cards provide impressive storage at very reasonable prices; I bought an 8 gig card for $13 yesterday. That's starting to make all other recording media look as obsolete as Playtapes.
Old 5th January 2009, 09:44 PM   #26
alexo is offline alexo  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I frequently transfer Lp to CD. I use WaveLab followed by 3 products you'll find here

http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~briand/sound/

I start at 192/24, do all processing then convert to 44/16.

I use headphones for monitoring - there is a clear diff between 192/24 and 44/16. Unfortunately my experience is in recording large symphonic orchestras and I could not comment on how this affects modern music.
Old 6th January 2009, 10:24 AM   #27
Werner is offline Werner  Europe
diyAudio Member

If your aim isCD only then you'd better start at an integer
multiple of 44.1 i.s.o. 192kHz.

Also have a look at

http://src.infinitewave.ca/
Old 6th January 2009, 04:23 PM   #28
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

no, I want the stored signal to be as good as possible. Then I can make the decision to lossless compress or lossy compress or convert down to 16/44.1 If any of these compressions degrade the sound I will not use them.
Once I have convinced myself that I can get quality better than CD from my digitised vinyl, then I continue with the whole collection.

If none of these are better than CD then I'll stop after just a few albums and accept that I use two sources; analogue and digital.
But the convenience of all digital is attractive.
Old 6th January 2009, 08:56 PM   #29
alexo is offline alexo  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Andrew, you can get that but you need to compare apples with apples. You get really well mastered CDs - you won't better that. You'll easily better run of the mill CDs provided you're prepared to put up with some level of clicking - too much click removal will affect the sound. The biggest problem BY FAR is low freq noise, you'll easily solve the others. I found often that a good LP mastered from a 76 tape has a dynamic range which stresses a CD and a bit of compression helps. Do not worry much about RIAA
- it all depended on a ...spanner ( any old hands at cutting masters who might remember this one ? ) . I am forever amused by the phono preamps with 0.3dB RIAA accuracy...

You'll get great results once your ear learns to listen.
Old 6th January 2009, 11:18 PM   #30
Evaas is offline Evaas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alexo
Do not worry much about RIAA
- it all depended on a ...spanner ( any old hands at cutting masters who might remember this one ? ) . I am forever amused by the phono preamps with 0.3dB RIAA accuracy...

care to elaborate? I'm curious

Hide this!Advertise here!