DIY Air bearing tangent tone arm - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2009, 02:36 PM   #31
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Do you have a buffer tank on the line like a 2Litre bottle or does this just equalise fluctuations in pressure?
Old 10th March 2009, 03:15 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by woodturner-fran
Yeah, at long last I'm getting around to it! It looks ok, and when I hooked it up to a bigger supply it slides really nicely... but just with the pump I picked up today it ain't running. I could get another pump the same and parallel them, but would that work? double the air flow but at the same pressure. Seems that it should but the head is tired at this time!!

For anyone else thinking of going this route, the thing is relatively easy to make, but takes lots of time getting the details right. Only real expense is the pump (assuming you build from scrap lying around)

Fran
I use two 250 l/h cheap aquarium pump in parallel; it is just enough to get the arm afloat. I do not think tubing type matters with such low air flow as long as it is bent with large radius and no kinks; just check all connections for leakage.
Old 10th March 2009, 04:09 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

I have a smoothing tank but don't have it in the chain yet - just wanted to get this running first before adding that in.

Will be doing more later...

Fran
Old 10th March 2009, 09:12 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

OK, so I have this sorted now. It was indeed the 1/8" copper pipe at the manifold that was causing the problem. I ran the heavier stuff all the way up and hey presto! it works pretty ok now.

You guys were right on the money!

Fran
Old 10th March 2009, 09:21 PM   #35
Banned

Nice one Fran, now you have to tell us how it sounds compared to your other arms a uni-pivot & what's the other one? It will probably take a while to set up the air tangent arm as they are sensitive to levelling, VTA, etc
Old 10th March 2009, 09:23 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Well I've a bit to go yet. I have the arm wand almost done but the pivot needs attention and then the wiring and the arm lift are yet to be sorted out. Maybe by next week.

The other arm is a modded rega Rb300 with cardas wire and michell tecnoweight. I am curious to see how it goes.

Those who are using these - do you just leave the pump on 24/7 or do you rig up a switch near the TT?
And how important is that buffer tank. The action seems very smooth now without any buffer...

Fran
Old 10th March 2009, 09:36 PM   #37
Banned

Ye it will be an interesting comparison - are you using a short arm as per the "Terminator" ? I have a carbon shaft from an arrow that I have if you are interested in it!
Old 10th March 2009, 09:47 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Yep, short arm.. the whole thing is very terminator based. I bought some 8mm carbon fibre rod (8ft length) in France last year (just can't get that stuff here!) for about 3!

I asked in a shop in town once would they sell me an arrow (they had them there in stock). No! told them what I wanted it for, they could cut the head and tail off it..... still NO. Gobshites.

Anyway, I have a fair bit of this left if you need it... although obviously you don't.

Fran
Old 10th March 2009, 09:54 PM   #39
Banned

I got mine because I found it in the garden one day - brand new - some gobshite obviously shouldn't have sold the arrow to the gobshite that shot it & it landed in my garden!

I held onto it for just this purpose.

Anyway, I've great hopes for this - you know I've always spoken about these arms but never heard one! Good luck with it. I also have some fine litz wire if this might be of use to you - I don't know if this is good for wiring tonearms?
Old 12th March 2009, 12:10 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Can you guys tell me what youa re doing with your pumps - do you leave them on 24/7 or only turn them on when you are going to listen?

I have done some more work on this tonight and have most of the arm wand and lift done. the pumps are a bit noisier than expected so also need to do some work on them too. Really its just some wiring to go and then I should be ready to mount it on the TT.

Fran

Hide this!Advertise here!