DIY Air bearing tangent tone arm - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2011, 03:40 PM   #131
diyAudio Member

please tell me. how many mm should be an air gap between the movable part and a stationary tube and how much pressure (bar)??
Old 8th June 2011, 04:07 PM   #132
diyAudio Member

please tell me. how many mm should be an air gap between the movable part and a stationary tube and how much pressure (bar)??
Old 4th October 2011, 10:23 AM   #133
diyAudio Member

Hello Guys

My Name is Michael Methe from Germany (www.methe-family.de)
Is there anybody who hast interest to a "New Way Air Bushing plus some parts for building an own airbearing tonearm?
If so, please have a look here and scroll a little bit down:
Zu Verkaufen

You can contact me via email.
Regards and always happy listening,

yours Michael
Old 7th October 2011, 12:30 AM   #134
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Does the new way come with the shaft? If it doesn,t then you will find it difficult to machine a tolerance where just enough and too much will result in air rush escaping the shaft will make its own sound signature. You want the least possible air noise existing the perimeter shaft.

To make it work right will require a centerless grinder to get the perfect balance of low tolerance and the right air pressure to keep it quiet as it moves. You will need very even and tight dimensions to make the best of the new way if it doesn,t come with the shaft. A centerless grinder is the only way to make it sing properly.
Regards
David

Last edited by AVWERK; 7th October 2011 at 12:35 AM. Reason: further thought?
Old 7th October 2011, 06:23 AM   #135
diyAudio Member

Hello David
The company "New Way Air Bearing" offers shafts with minimum tolreances too. They fit perfect to the air bushings and so you will hear no noise comming out of the bushing.

regards,
Michael
Old 7th October 2011, 08:40 PM   #136
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

So if it is 240$ with the shaft, then that is a deal. The question is am I ready to to start another project since I have 4 air tonearms already?
This stuff never ends does it?

Regards
David
Old 7th October 2011, 10:03 PM   #137
diyAudio Member

where did you get the $240 from? I thought the new way bearings were more like $600 with the slide?

Fran
Old 8th October 2011, 05:56 AM   #138
diyAudio Member

Hello David

No chance. The parts i offer on my homepage (bushing, special filters, and so on) cost about 630 Dollars (470 Euro`s) without the shaft and they are really like new. I think, 450 Dollars plus shipping is a fair deal.

Best wishes,
Michael
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:16 AM   #139
diyAudio Member

Hey guys, sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have a question. I have put together one of these arms based on the terminator model and it functions well (and has fabulous detail retrieval and absolutely black background!) but has very weak bass compared to my pivoted arms. Would there be some typical problem or mistake that one could make when making one of these tonearms that would cause this that I am just unaware of? I have heard a lot of discussion on the internet about hoe air bearing arms just have weak bass... is this true? I used to own an ET-2 and I don't recall bass being a problem in general. Off the top of your heads, could you think of anything I could look at as a potential source of the problem? It tracks well, runs on two aquarium pumps in parallel and has a hard-walled surge tank made out of a 4 foot long piece of 6 inch pvc. All connections are secure and there is no air leakage. The movement of the sled is smooth and without hiccups. However I am having some problem adjusting vta due to some problems with my mount design - could this do it? Thanks.
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:18 AM   #140
diyAudio Member

Is the VTA and long way out with a short wand length? That could do it.

A T3Pro Terminator is not lacking in bass!!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!