diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Analogue Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/)
-   -   John Linsley Hood FM tuner article/s (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/134795-john-linsley-hood-fm-tuner-article-s.html)

djsb 13th December 2008 04:42 PM

John Linsley Hood FM tuner article/s

Hi,
I am new to this site although I've been a regular reader.
I'm sorry to revive this topic, but does anyone have available copies of the John Linsley Hood AM/FM tuner design.
I'm an owner of the a Hart discrete phono preamp (JLH design) and would like to do some research on his tuner design.
I hope someone can help.
Thanks.

David

London,UK

burbeck 14th December 2008 11:08 PM

hi David.
the FM tuner was a Phase locked Loop design from ETI they had some low quality pcbs availible for it, later Hart electronics redesigned the pcbs with cooperation from JlH and looked much better, i was tempted to buy the kit at the time but was scared off with the complexity.
i do have the old ETI mags stored away in the depths of dust somewhere but you would be better off finding someone with the later debuged Hart version.

The AM tuner was called Synchrodyne and was published in E&WW, this was also availible from Hart at the time, try to get a later Hart version of the info.

ps i ended up getting a Lartshold module for my FM, they to are now defunked

good luck with your search

forr 14th December 2008 11:15 PM

Hi DJSB,
Welcome. Send me an email, I've got the whole articles, already scanned.

djsb 16th December 2008 11:06 PM

Hi,
As I am currently under moderation I can't send an email.
Please be patient and after a while I will send my email address.
Thanks.

David.

Cal Weldon 16th December 2008 11:06 PM

David, you are now free to post and email.

forr 27th June 2009 04:18 PM

The scans of the JLH's FM tuner I made has a missing page :
ETI April 1987,page 36. I recovered it so you can get it now.
Just send me an email.

davidkou 1st October 2012 06:55 AM

JLH 400 tuner system

I am in the process of repairing and restoring this JLH tuner, and would like to have a copy of the scanned eti article, so I can fault find with a circuit diagram.

I have the decoder part scans, but need the other 2 parts of the 3 part article.

Thanks in advance.

David.

rsavas 11th October 2012 04:20 PM

Hello David,
I suggest that you look at using a modern approach to a AM/FM reciever design, such as Silicon Lab's Si4735 & the newer Si4770 parts. The benifits are well worth it. Not sure about the design you are refering to if the front end uses a mecahanical variable capacitor or varactor diodes, but many of these components are very difficult to source these days.

Regards
Rick

forr 11th October 2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidkou (Post 3185854)
I am in the process of repairing and restoring this JLH tuner, and would like to have a copy of the scanned eti article, so I can fault find with a circuit diagram.

I have the decoder part scans, but need the other 2 parts of the 3 part article.

Thanks in advance.

David.

Send me an MP.

davidkou 11th October 2012 08:24 PM

Hello Rick, Thank you, and I will look at what you suggested, although I wasn't really looking for a new design.

This JLH tuner from what I can see just by opening the hood is a straightforward variable capacitor
am/fm job, with fairly standard chip fm demodulator, 2 ceramic if filters, and perhaps a special JLH fm decoder section around MC1310 (from memory as it's not with me right now). Also has a variable RF gain knob on front panel.

Nice little kit, well designed mechanically, and will be very interested to see how it sounds when put right.

I will post how I get on.

David.