BUZZING PROBLEM WITH TURNTABLE-Please Help! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2008, 08:38 AM   #1
FSHZ:42 is offline FSHZ:42  United States
diyAudio Member

Default BUZZING PROBLEM WITH TURNTABLE-Please Help!

My turntable has a buzzing noise when a I turn the volume up about 1/4 way and gets worse as the volume increases. I did replace the stock rca cables with another brand (Scosche EFX double shielded) I also moved the phono pre-amp further away from tt, and used another outlet for the ac plug, but still have buzzing. If my memory is not mistaken, I dont remember hearing this buzzing prior to changing the stock rca cables, but i'm not 100% sure. Just wondering if the new cables could be causing the noise. Any suggestions to what I can do or check to make the buzzing noise go away?

Thanks!!!
Old 13th December 2008, 10:08 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

More info needed. Is the arm grounded? What is the tt? How did you replace the cables? Pictures?
Old 13th December 2008, 11:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa
More info needed. Is the arm grounded? What is the tt? How did you replace the cables? Pictures?

Hi analog_sa,

The tt is short for Turntable. As for the cables, I just solder the new ones I had purchased and added a single 14awg for ground. I tried everything I could think of to get the buzzing noise to stop, but still there. Here is what I did: I unpluged the amp, turntable, and phono pre-amp. I used a seperate house outlet, that didn't have any other sources running off of it, and pluged only the mentioned audio components on that line. I still had the buzzing noise. I tried removing the rca cables that run from the turntable to the phono pre-amp and the noise was totally gone. Could this indicate a problem being somewhere from the cables and the turntable? Here is a photo: http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?...pict0462wn2.jpg

Thanks
Old 13th December 2008, 01:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

link is broken
Old 13th December 2008, 05:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FSHZ:42

Hi analog_sa,

The tt is short for Turntable. ............

Thanks
We know that but we don't know what make and model it is.
Old 14th December 2008, 12:00 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

DENON DP-30L

I don't know what happened with imageshack, but here are 2 links from photobucket: http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=PICT0468.jpg
http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=PICT0467.jpg
Old 14th December 2008, 09:44 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The pictures make everything very clear. As long as your new cables grounds are indeed connected to the gree and blue wires coming from the arm all should be fine. As long as the new cables are shielded there should be no difference from the old ones. It is of course possible the problem existed with the old cables.

Does the hum go down when the grounding wire is connected? You don't mention the phono pre type but it's entireley possible its grounding scheme is to blame. You can try attaching the grounding wire to either the left or right channel rca grounds instead of the grounding post of the pre. You can also do this by soldering a link between ground and either the black or green wire of your cables on the tt board. Finally you may try lifting the AC power ground of the tt if used.
Old 14th December 2008, 09:58 AM   #8
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

That is not looking like shielded wire to me.
Old 14th December 2008, 10:07 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa
The pictures make everything very clear. As long as your new cables grounds are indeed connected to the gree and blue wires coming from the arm all should be fine. As long as the new cables are shielded there should be no difference from the old ones. It is of course possible the problem existed with the old cables.

Does the hum go down when the grounding wire is connected? You don't mention the phono pre type but it's entireley possible its grounding scheme is to blame. You can try attaching the grounding wire to either the left or right channel rca grounds instead of the grounding post of the pre. You can also do this by soldering a link between ground and either the black or green wire of your cables on the tt board. Finally you may try lifting the AC power ground of the tt if used.
Hi analog_sa, I was just about to try and change the interconnects out and try putting the oem's back in to see if it makes a difference. Also, I noticed that when the power button is off, my cartridge still picks up my finger as I gentley rub it. I thought that when the power was off, that the cartridge should not pick up anything! Also as you mentioned about disconnecting the ground from the pre-amp, when disconnected, the buzz becomes really loud. I will try and connect a jumper wire from the ground to the black or green and see if that helps. As far as lifting the AC power ground, I am really not sure what you mean.

Thanks Again!
Old 14th December 2008, 10:23 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by salas
That is not looking like shielded wire to me.

The interconnect cables that are attached to the Turntable are dual channel twisted audio EFX DOUBLE SHIELDED interconnects manufactured by SCOSCHE.

Hide this!Advertise here!