Phonoclone 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Yeah, ok heres what you can do. Copy the link by right clicking on the above pics (ie the thumbnails) and paste the URL into and new browser tab. Near the end of the URL you will see the letters "th". Just remove them. then you get to see them at the res I uploaded them at (which is still fairly small)

Fran

Last edited:

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
RJM, did you get my private message? I having some voltage problems with one of my channels...Wondering if you had any thoughts. I sent it diyaudio account.

Tea-Bag

Today's lesson learnt: do not short the transistor pins together with your multimeter when measuring the board voltages, as the transistor with blow. (Datasheet absolute max E-B voltage for BD136/138/140 is only 5V)

2k2 resistors

HI guys,
finally :spin: rhys´ "half" p3 kit came to me via the good boy P-A.

With the kit came per board two "little"-supposingly metal film 2k2 resistors, the rest of the 2k2 are that mills-sausages. Can anybody give me a hint where to place that two little ones?

2k2 are:
R3
R4
R15
R16
R17
R18

thanks
stefan

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
HI guys,
finally :spin: rhys´ "half" p3 kit came to me via the good boy P-A.

With the kit came per board two "little"-supposingly metal film 2k2 resistors, the rest of the 2k2 are that mills-sausages. Can anybody give me a hint where to place that two little ones?

2k2 are: R3,R4,R15,R16,R17 and R18

R15-18 are Xreg and R3 and R4 are Phonoclone, whatever you have 2 of should go in the Phonoclone, 4 of goes in the Xreg...

I just used Richards gain calculator (again :))
For my Benz Glider I end up with

R1=12 Ohm (like the cardrige itself)
R2=300 Ohm (what the calculator told me)

when I re-read Richards recommendations, I came across the information that R2 should not be under 500 Ohms. So will it be a mismatch, my glider and P3, or are there any solutions?

best
stefan

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I wouldn't call it a mismatch, really. The "not under 500 ohms" is a recomendation, considering the input opamp loading. The gain calculator is a guide, based on a standard output level.

You can look at the 100 ohms as lower limit, and might consider pulling back a bit to 200-300 ohms, splitting he difference as it were.

Hi, thanks. So I´ll stay with the 300 Ohms.
Maybe a final hint to the transformer, when I want to use a single one. Is 2 x12 V Voltage ok (best:D), mhmmmmm and again the "what ampere is useful" question. I read a lot of different information and being one of the last guys (thanks rh…) building up the p3 I could have a profit ao your experience :)

thanks
s.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Maybe if you told us what transformers you have access to and are considering, we could help you narrow it down.

You'll want 2x12 V, in between 25 - 300 VA. I think 160 VA is just about right, but its a question of how much you want to pay and how heavy and big you can stand. 35 VA is fine for most people.

Hi. Just to report that I'm listening to my new re-installed music system (moved house this summer, you know a lot of boxes to go through, lost stuff...). I have a classic LP12, Ittok tonearm with DL103 and the PhonoClone3. Just one of the best phono preamp out there. Certainly one of the best cost to performance preamp you can build. If you need a MC superb preamp, build this one right there. It is a great sounding preamp, silent, delicate, a lot of details, everything :eek:! It equals my Audio Research PH5, if not beating it, for a lot less. Thanks rjm for your time and efforts :D.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.