Phonoclone 3 - Page 53 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2009, 02:16 PM   #521
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Forum member peranders has decided to mediate between Rhys and the hordes of angry people who were in on the many different group buys Rhys was running.

I was trying to keep a record of the phonoclone 3 subset, but once it became clear that only about 10-20% of the orders were actually fulfilled there wasn't much else I could do ... I have no more influence over Rhys than you guys do. Hopefully peranders does.

I suggest emailing peranders with the details of your order: what you ordered, how much you paid and when you paid, and what if anything you received. Then cross your fingers and hope...

The wiki is here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.p...up+Buy+Round+2

/rjm
Old 14th June 2009, 02:48 PM   #522
diyAudio Member

thanks rjm. So letīs hope
stefan
Old 14th June 2009, 11:30 PM   #523
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

The situation can be monitored at the BPA300 group buy forum.

/R
Old 15th June 2009, 04:35 AM   #524
Tham is offline Tham  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Hi Richard,

Received my pcbs this morning. They look great! Thanks.

Now will have to wait for my parts kit from Rhys before I can complete the project.

Rgds
Old 15th June 2009, 11:29 PM   #525
diyAudio Member

Boards have arrived in lovely Minnesota. I'll be ordering my parts from digikey.
Old 19th June 2009, 03:21 PM   #526
kffern is offline kffern  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to kffern
I have finally finished my P3 after a few stuff ups with one board. The good news is that nothing seems to have been damaged in spite of it.

The power supply is 80VA toroid with dual rectifiers. I have hardwired the phono leads out with DH Audio silver interconnect.

Iím using a ATF9 II (20 ohm, 0.4V) with a R1/R2 of 20/520 ohm metal film. I plan on changing to better quality carbon film when I can. After a few hours itís quite a bit better than my Musical Fidelity V3.
I also have a DL103R which I haven't tried as yet. Since getting the AT, I much prefer it to the 103R but will try later. Plan is to make another soon.
Hope Rhys gets his kits out.

Kffern
Old 20th June 2009, 11:11 AM   #527
diyAudio Member

I have gone through a few LP's today and compared the MF V3 and realised that the background noise is higher on the P3.

I have 2 arms on my Lenco L75 and one connected to each phono preamp which are both connected to the preamp. I'm listening on headphones and switching between the 2 at listening level (9 o'clock) the P3 is just audible and the MF is silent. The MF is only audible at 12 o'clock position.

Am I doing a fair comparison? Can I expect better from the P3? Where do I start?

Either way once the needle hits the vinyl the MF falls way behind. I have even tried played both arms at once and switching between the 2. I had a 103R on the Micro Seiki M505 and a AT F5 on the Technoarm. I will put a AT F9 on the Technoarm later for a better comparison.

Any advice welcome.
Kffern
Old 20th June 2009, 11:17 AM   #528
JBdV is offline JBdV  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Difference in amplifaction facor of both phono stages may play a role.

Is the audio level using both phono stages at lets say 3 PM on your volume control the same?
Old 20th June 2009, 11:24 AM   #529
diyAudio Member

The MF is a bit softer but not much. Still raising the volume to the same (a mm or 2) and the MF is still quite. Noise just starts at 12 o'clock.

Kffern
Old 20th June 2009, 11:46 AM   #530
JBdV is offline JBdV  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

maybe you can test the following: comparing the noise from connecting preferrably the same cartridge through the different phono stages at a level (these levels may be different for both phonestages) that normally is the loudest you use, but then without lowering the cartridge to the vinyl.

A logaritmic volume control is progressing slower near the max setting, and your ears are pretty sensitive for recogizing this max level so this test may be more accurate.

Of course a real measurement would be better ...

Hide this!Advertise here!