Phonoclone 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
So do I.

Yet, ok, he's got the nice red painted chassis on the go (been there, done that) and with the cute Phonoclone 3 decal in there, we gotta cut him some slack. The switch is already there, so what to do?

The main offending point at present is the switch only cuts the V+, the V- is still live, so the phonoclone stays half powered up, and not at all happy about it.

One option is to ditch the switch and paper over the hole as best you can. If you have to power off the phonoclone, just pull out the AC cord or switch from an power bar.

The other option to replace it with a DT (dual throw) switch so that the V- and V+ can both be turned off.

I picked up a DT switch at Rat Shack to resolve my LED issue, and will use that as the sole power switch. I haven't gotten around to installing it yet as I'm too busy listening to records in my free time. The Phonoclone sounds great. Everything seems about right in the soundscape. Low end bass is very natural and vocal sibilants are very pleasant. Transparent? yep it's got that too.

My gear it's replacing is a Rotel RQ-970BX and a Audio Expressions Solo tube phono step up amp.
The Rotel was pretty good at MM, but's for MC it seemed a bit brittle and edgy at times. The Solo was a big improvement over the Rotel's MC, but at the cost of noise and a bit overemphasized low end. It had beautiful vocals though.

It might also be just wishful listening, but the Phonoclone seems to deemphasize surface noise. The Solo also seemed to do that. The Rotel on the other hand was like a snap of a whip on every click.

As I've stated before the Phonoclone is nearly silent. I used Vishay Dale metal film resistors throughout and the lower cost Nichicon KW caps...only because all the values I needed were available in that series from Mouser.

I've got to look into getting a sample of the noise it makes when on and post it back here. I have a mid-level consumer receiver - Yamaha HTR-6090 and cranked up, the Phonoclone adds very little noise over what the amp makes, and it would be ludicrously loud at that volume for my listening space.

I'm very happy with the results of this project and glad I attempted it.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Today's agenda:

I have started a phonoclone group buy thread over at the group buys forum... here.

Please post kit and group buy related topics to there rather than here from now on. This is for two reasons. First is that "where's my kit Rhys?" messages dilute the technical usefulness of this thread and second, people interested in a phono stage PCB are more likely to look at the group buy forum than here.

Rhys, I'd appreciate it if you could start the ball rolling by posting the cost of the full kit over at the new thread, and how many, if any, sets are still available. I should also add that I have yet to receive an email regarding how much I should pay you.

/R

Here's the noise from my P3 with and without my Denon DL301MKII attached. The soundcard input wasn't calibrated so the values are arbitrary.

R1 33Ohms r2 806 Ohms as the Denon has .4mv output

Reviewing my purchase order from Mouser, I went for 20K ohm resistors for R11-14. I don't know why I chose this but this is obviously incorrect following the XREG voltage calculator. My voltage is 13.8v. I could just change R11 and R12 to 40K to get the Xreg back to the recommended voltage, correct?

Attachments

• phonoclone3 noise sm.jpg
    phonoclone3 noise sm.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 389

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
j_sunne said:
Here's the noise from my P3 with and without my Denon DL301MKII attached. The soundcard input wasn't calibrated so the values are arbitrary.
I could just change R11 and R12 to 40K to get the Xreg back to the recommended voltage, correct?

a) Only measurements with the cartridge in place have any meaning, as the cartridge load sets the gain.

b) Yes, you only need to replace two of the four resistors. Making R11,12 40k will do the trick.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Due to the relatively high level of interest, I'm going to be doing another batch order of Phonoclone 3 boards from Olimex. Cost is $45 for a set of two boards, including shipping, payment by Paypal. Turnaround about 4 weeks, if ordering today, if you are ordering later after I already have the boards, its usually about a week from payment to delivery.

I'll order 12 sets. First come first serve.

Use the email button below to get in touch with me, and I'll give you my paypal address.

/R

whats the best quality for the resistors that are used to match the catrtridge impedance and set the gain of the phonoclone3?
(R1 and R2)
The bom says 'carbon' but a suggestion for brand and type would be appreciated.(Low noise is important)

I am expecting boards and kit from Rhys without these specific resistors any day now

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Not really. I've tried different kinds and I can't say I've been able to discern a difference. You can't get Riken Ohm anymore, these were the gold standard. There are Takman from Parts Connexion, or the Matsushita ones are of reasonable quality.

Neither R1 nor R2 add anything significant to the noise, so no reason to look for low noise parts especially.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I am pleased announce I have made a large order with Olimex and can offer Phonoclone 3 boards for the new lower cost of only $24 USD including shipping worldwide for a set of two. Two sets for $48 etc.

Offer good while supplies last (though I don't anticipate running out anytime soon... :))

Email if interested.

Richard

I ordered and paid on March 29.
Lead time was supposed to be 14 days max.
Last Friday I got the stuff.
I assembled all parts and found out that the Dale resistors are a pretty tight fit, but its OK.
The only remaining issue I have that 2 resistors of 768 K were missing. I hope to receive them in a week or so.
Bottom line: Rhys delivers but not as quickly as promised....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.