Phonoclone 3 - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2009, 01:56 PM   #131
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Tonight's listening is a short sample of Wind of Change, by the BeeGees, from the Main Course album (RSO). There is a 16 bit 44.1 kHz wav file...

Beegees_sample_16_44.wav

and, a very special treat, a 24 bit 96 kHz version too!

Beegees_sample_24_96.wav

(to conserve bandwidth, I have deleted the Al Stewart file from yesterday. I'm not confident it was quite right anyway.)

@Algar-emi: you must have hooked up the transformer incorrectly. 12VAC secondaries will give 12-13, max 14 VAC unloaded. The DC voltage will measure about 16-17 V and the regulator (old or new) will dissipate about ~0.1 W, not enough to even get it remotely warm.
Old 16th January 2009, 02:47 PM   #132
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Ok, I am gradually getting the hang of this recording thing. Sorry, the Beegees tracks are L-R reversed, but nothing worse than that.

Next and last for the night, some Mozart, a short extract from the Piano Concerto no 21 in C major, Geza Anda at the piano, from a 1967? 1968? DG recording for the Swedish film "Elvira Madigan" (no, I haven't seen it either)...

In 16/44,

ElviraMadigan_sample_16_44.wav

and 24/96,

ElviraMadigan_sample_24_96.wav

Look, at the risk of seeming snobbish here, let me just say this again: though the 44kHz stuff is pretty much rubbish, the 96 kHz wavs are actually a reasonably decent approximation in both tone, detail level, and sense of space, of the original analog signal. Fair enough to make a judgment, I feel, even if it does lack the sense of air, delicacy and liveliness of the direct-to-LP source. The difference is more apparent here on the classical track, than with the BeeGees track above.
Old 16th January 2009, 02:48 PM   #133
rhysh is offline rhysh  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to rhysh
Is there anything wrong with using a overkill power supply for this preamp? It is in a seperate enc anyway so i was thinking i may aswell go for it.

I was thinking about one of these http://www.amb.org/audio/sigma22/
Old 16th January 2009, 03:25 PM   #134
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

That's a regulator + rectifier, not a power supply. And it's designed to for a power amplifier.

It's a humongous version of the Xreg, - conventional reference and a discrete error amplifier instead of an op-amp - but it serves the same function. You can use one or the other, but no need for both.

The power supply, what is external to the phonoclone 3 board, is just fuse transformer diodes. Or mine is. It's the same one I use with my gainclone, shown in the pic below. 160 VA 2x12VAC Plitron toroid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gc_photo2_sm.jpg (22.0 KB, 636 views)
Old 16th January 2009, 03:28 PM   #135
diyAudio Member

Okay, i will go the unregulated option if that works out fine for other people! Cheaper!

I see most people are using 2 cases, but i would really like to use a 2u case and include the power supply. I could use a encapsulated transformer and then build a little box for it out of copper sheeting.
Old 16th January 2009, 03:45 PM   #136
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. It is possible, I did it a long time ago. I'll use a 12V, 48VA transfo then.
Old 16th January 2009, 03:50 PM   #137
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

@rhysh: Its not the transformer messing around with the phono stage electronics, so much as the transformer messing around with your cartridge. Not as big a deal with MC, but with my old Grados it was awful. You want the phonostage close to the turntable, but you want the transformer as far away as possible. ergo, two chassis solution is sensible.

If a single chassis is more convenient for, there is really no reason not to do so, just keep the toroid at one end, the boards at the opposite end.

You may wish to lift the earth connection, though, it may cause you grief...

/R
Old 17th January 2009, 08:52 AM   #138
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

More BeeGees,

Nights on Broadway, 16bit 44.1kHz
Nights on Broadway 16-44.wav

and the CD version for comparison,
Nights on Broadway CD version.wav
Old 17th January 2009, 02:23 PM   #139
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Well, I hope you all had fun listening, and that it gave people at least an impression of the Phonoclone 3. If nothing else, you can see it's hum and noise free and comparable (please say better!) to the CD.

I'm signing off the experiment with two bonus tracks. In FLAC format this time so I can slip the files under the 100MB upload limit of the hosting site while keeping the quality at 24bit 96kHz.

Bach / Well tempered clavier : Glen Gould -

Glen_Gould_Well_Tempered_2496FLAC.flac

Carpenters : Goodbye to Love -

Goobye_to_Love_2496_FLAC.flac
Old 17th January 2009, 02:24 PM   #140
diyAudio Member

Thanks rjm! Now i just look forward to getting the boards and building one of these up!

Hide this!Advertise here!