Phonoclone 3 - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2009, 12:32 AM   #121
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

A five minute flac compressed 16bit 44kHz sample would weigh in at about 25 MB I suppose. 96,192 would be a 2/4 times bigger, plus extra for 24 bit.

Email is usually capped at 10MB, so I think that's out. Seeding a torrent is skills "above my pay grade". I'll investigate rapidshare.

/R
Old 15th January 2009, 12:42 AM   #122
diyAudio Member

Well, I know for me, it will be CD replay. So you know where thats capped at. The DAC at the pc here is fed by USB, so thats 16/48 I think. Of course get it as high a resolution as you can, but in my case at least it will be downsampled to those levels anyway.

The P3 sounded very good tonight with John Coltrane repressing on "ballads". What a great record.

Sound is more smoother than last night, kinda more in control of stuff, but definitely still with that extra detail - I was hearing groove noise on that album that I know I didn't hear on the kit one.

If this keeps going the way I think its going, its a win win situation.

Fran
Old 15th January 2009, 08:02 AM   #123
rhysh is offline rhysh  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to rhysh
Take a look at http://www.cdupload.com/

R
Old 15th January 2009, 09:09 AM   #124
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Thanks, just what I was looking for.

readme.txt

If you can read the file above, we are in business, and I'll get to work making some recordings.
Old 15th January 2009, 09:32 AM   #125
diyAudio Member

I can read the file
Very nice experiment
Thank for sharing all your efforts

Michiel
Old 15th January 2009, 04:02 PM   #126
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

I used Audacity to make the recordings, as 96 kHz 32bit working files (from 96 khz 24 bit samples), and exported it down to a 16bit 44.1kHz.

I noticed that there was a slight channel imbalance, or so it seemed, so I adjusted the channel gain to fix that and at the same time level match to the original. So the wav. voltage data is 1:1 what I get from my Phonoclone. There is no clipping. Since I'm working at 32 bit resolution during the editing there is no bit error from the scaling, either.

Tonights offering for your listening pleasure is Al Stewart "On The Border" from Year of The Cat album (Arista records).

The file is 32 MB and the track is 3m16s long.

On_The_Border_matched_44kHz_16bit.wav

Sadly by the time it's hacked down to 44/16 it's a very pale shadow of the high resolution digital master. That master, though, is a surprisingly good copy of the original. Even the exported 16 bit 96kHz PCM is pretty decent. It's dropping the sampling rate that kills it.
Old 16th January 2009, 02:01 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

Thanks Richard,

I've downloaded it but not got a chance to listen other than through headphones.

Will listen and report back. I wonder if I have that track on LP - that would be intersting huh?

Fran
Old 16th January 2009, 07:59 AM   #128
rhysh is offline rhysh  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to rhysh
Thanks for the upload, the phonoclone seems to have a kind of unique sound?

R
Old 16th January 2009, 01:30 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Regarding the power transformer,if I remember correctly when I built the first version of the PhonoClone, if using a 12Vac transformer of 35VA, the transfo light load of the PhonoClone and its own regulation (or lack of) produce a secondary voltage way higher than 12Vac

This higher voltage was causing in the LM317/337 supply version and over heat of the regulators. This is why I settled on lower voltage transformer, but with still high VA. If I remember it used 8Vac, 48VA Hammond model 229D16 split bobbin transformer.

Is it still a good choice for the PhonoClone3 to use such a higher secondary voltage transformer (12V,35VA)? Will it cause a problem with the new regulator (over heat,etc), or is it needed by the new design?

Out of curiosity, with is your AC voltage reading at the secondary output?

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th January 2009, 01:54 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Hi Sylvain,

I am using 2 x 12V transformers as dual mono 50VA each. AC sec voltage is ~12V or so, maybe 13 even. After rectification (no load) I get about 16-17VDC and I don't get any heat at all off either the LM317/337 (phonoclone or VSPS) or the opamps in the phonoclone 3. In fact in my VSPS I used TO92 package LM337 and they never get anymore than barely warm.
Don't know what would be making your regulators get hot.

Fran

Hide this!Advertise here!