help- retiping denon dl 103

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
h_a said:

Never ever do that with a DL103.

The stock DL103 has a spherical stylus since the 60ies of last century for good reason. This cartridge is the only I know of that employs sort of tracking error cancellation - that is in principle only possible for spherical stylii. I do know that there's a more expensive 103R which is said to have an elliptical stylus. If that's true and how (wether?) that works at all I don't know in that case.

Have fun, Hannes

PS: I would also say to get a new 103 for the money of a retipping.

The MicroMagic *Magic Diamond* has also spheric styli for the same reason and it works excellent. it costs a lot more, but for me it is worth it. lesser noise, lesser distorsions, lesser sensible to surface scratches,very good trackability, sound closer to the original master tapes and pretty long lasting stylus.

and yes, its better to get a new 103 .
retipping is only replacement of the diamond, not the cantilever.
broken cantilever is expensive to fix, thats why mcs have to be exchanged usually.

when the 103 was bought at a dealer, he usually makes a special exchange price. this is also common with other serious brands.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.