SME Series III (3) Mods & Suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
webby said:

How did you remove the Arm tube connector and was there any cotton wool or balsa inside?
Are you still using the arm tube connectors, or did you bypass them so only two solder joints are used?

Many thanks
Ian

Hi Ian. Sorry for my slow reply, I've been very busy with a number of things and this has taken a back seat for a while.

To be honest, I found the rewire a right pain. Although this was due to me having to insulate the silver wire myself.

I ended up leaving the connector in. Using 0.5mm Mundorf Silver/Gold from the cart to the joint, and then pure silver from there to the phono stage. I did this as the thicker Mundorf stuff was impeding the movement of the arm. The wire now comes straight out the back of the arm, bypassing the poor quality brass rca sockets too.

If you're using nice litz, I'd bypass all the connectors altogether. I just used what I had laying around as I may end up changing arms.

There was indeed balsa in the arm tube. You have to remove the weights and then unscrew the arm assembly. Flip that over and unscrew the arm coupling. You can then remove all the connectors etc.

I have to say that the improvement in sound quality has been dramatic. Just showing how much that original wiring was holding things back. I will experiment adding mass etc after I have constructed my new phono stage, when changes will be better revealed.

Regards, Lee.

I have to say that the improvement in sound quality has been dramatic. Just showing how much that original wiring was holding things back.

And how did you get to this conclusion? Doing an AB test with several day interval between the original and the tweaked arm?
Did you do recordings of the arm before and after, or did you rely on a phenomenal acoustical memory that you even days or weeks later can unanbigously and without anu doubt can come to the - obviously foregone - conclusions?

Those undocumented statements removed from factual evidence drive me away from anything that has to do with "audio philistery".
Too bad that starts creeping into forums more and more, even into one that sofar had seemed to be more science than voodoo - time to stop participating.

What a crock.

audio-kraut said:

And how did you get to this conclusion? Doing an AB test with several day interval between the original and the tweaked arm?
Did you do recordings of the arm before and after, or did you rely on a phenomenal acoustical memory that you even days or weeks later can unanbigously and without anu doubt can come to the - obviously foregone - conclusions?

Those undocumented statements removed from factual evidence drive me away from anything that has to do with "audio philistery".
Too bad that starts creeping into forums more and more, even into one that sofar had seemed to be more science than voodoo - time to stop participating.

What a crock.

Riiiigghht. Thanks for your helpful and informative post.

It was just my opinion, and we also now know yours.

Lee.

edit: The only measurement equipment I possess are a multimeter and my ears. After the rewire the 2nd peice of equipment is happy. Whether this as you say is just me wanting to believe it's better, who knows? However, I now know all about the construction of my arm, how to set it up better and where I can try some tweaks/mods. And after all that, it was fun.

audio-kraut,when you know your system very well and consistendly has something that you don't like,for example light bass or forward mids,and the only change you do is for example the arm internal wiring,all changes of cource are there because of the new wiring.As Thomo said it is his opinion and he has enjoyed the whole thing.Those who accept cable/wiring differences,leave measurements and proof to those who need them.If the forum wants those who accept differences to stop participating in discussions,they have to tell us.Alternatively,non-believers have the option not to respond to discussions of this kind.And finally,as Thomo and others said,we know your views and you know ours.All have the right of opinion.......I hope.

Hi all,
A Big thanks to Lee for is advice, i find your comments very helpful and cant believe some people are so dismissive. It took me a while to discover the cable fault in my arm, first i noticed the right hand channel just sounded flat, and the sound stage was uneven. This was intermittent. Then sometimes it would be ok. then it got worse and the right channel stopped working, so in checking all the cables in my system i determined it was the arm tube wires. If we consider the wires are 25 years old, i think a big improvement is very possible!
The new parts are on there way, so i will report back in a few weeks.
All the best
Ian

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Lee

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15178

Following this link I confirmed my idea... this tonearm needs some damping... use the little pool filled with silicon fluid.

Quote "The damper trough, which should have three paddles (white, grey, black) will damp the cantilever motion, and is beneficial with Grado cartridges. "

Quote "Cartridges with Compliance Units ratings of 15 or more are good candidates for this tonearm. "CU"lower than 15 should work better on heavier tonearms. "

Regards

Ricardo

PS

Also verify VTA.... lowering the base gets fuller bass but less detail... raise the back and you get more attack until it gets edgy... May take days, I use personal cards to set the correct height (so I know how many cards for each cart).

rewire complete

Hi All,
I have finally finished the rewire. Phew! a lot harder the the Rega & Linn rewires i have done. But well worth it, i can say without any doubt the sound quality has improved; More detail and overall more composed. I would recommend a rewire based on the age of these arms alone, and appear to respond very well.
Have it fitted to my TT and am extremely happy with the sound!
Cheers
Ian

Attachments

• p10409282.resized.resized.jpg
    p10409282.resized.resized.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 645
Re: rewire complete

webby said:
Hi All,
I have finally finished the rewire. Phew! a lot harder the the Rega & Linn rewires i have done. But well worth it, i can say without any doubt the sound quality has improved; More detail and overall more composed. I would recommend a rewire based on the age of these arms alone, and appear to respond very well.
Have it fitted to my TT and am extremely happy with the sound!
Cheers
Ian

Whoa, nice pic. What is the TT?

Lee.

Thanks for your comments.
I have built this myself utilising the DIY audio "mark kelly Maxon / elgar Emi " group buy. i then bought a VPI platter and bearing. The Plinth is solid walnut, sink cut out from the kitchen worktop. Some vibration absorbing rubber siliconed to the wood and an Asda granite chopping board appoxyed to that. I am over the moon with it, to my ears it sounds fantastic. Way, way above my TD321 / Linn combo.

Cheers
Ian

Hi All

I need to rewire the tone arm wand of my SME series 3. Will any kind person give me some detailed instructions of how to remove the fitting on the end of the wand - opposite to the cartridge end?

Having removed the two screws I was expecting the fitting to come off easily. I don't like to push or pull too much until I now how it comes apart.

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Regards
Anthony

Hi Recardo and Lee

Thank you for your help, much appreciated. Having read that someone had managed to trash one of these arms when trying to dismantle it, I felt the need to seek advice. I was thinking that the collar came off rather than the pins coming out of the collar.
It's easy when you know how isn't it?

Thanks again
Anthony

Hi i own a sme series III.I have run a cart with a 15 cu compliance with sucess.That is not a high compliance cart by any means.
There are two arm wands.Early and late the late arm haS a larger headshell.It's heavier.I run a light early arm.
I am not suprised rewireing the arm would be a improvement.Every thread i have ever read on older sme arms have stated a nice improvement.Every thread also states how tough a rewire it is so good for you finishing such a tough job.
I love my arm.It's looks and it's sound.?Rember it was designed in the 70's when injection molding was no where near what it is now.Then it was a tecnological tour de force.
I would and have chosen this arm over a newer arm such as the rega 300.
Why?It's sexy!It simply looks gorgeous.It's a s shaped arm.I think thats a advantage.I also bought it because i wanted to run a high compliance cart.I find a benifit here because i run a lower tracking weight.It simply makes sense that you wear out your records less with a sensible vtf.In my case 1.5 grams vs 2 to 3 grams for a lowcompliance mc.
Things like heavy vs light arms go in and out of style.Now it's out of style.LOL so what it works beautifuly.
There are more than a few choices in cart's fot the arm.I presently run a grado sonata 20 cu.It simply sounds great.
I love when guys bash it.I wish they did it more!
Why ?I want a second one.Yep for my other table.
Just so you naysayers know your not being vocal enough.The prices on smeIII's are climbing on ebay.There 100 more now vs a year ago to buy.
If i had one thing bad to say about the arm it would be this.I has tons of tweeks.You really need to dial them in.It's easy to forget a step.If you do dial it in you do get a nice payoff!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.