SME Series III (3) Mods & Suggestions - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2008, 07:14 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Hi,the series III was supplied with an extra weight that could be fitted on the underside of the headshell and had the same shape to fit nicely.It will add some mass.Maybe you have it somewhere?
Old 21st November 2008, 08:18 PM   #22
Thomo is offline Thomo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by webby

How did you remove the Arm tube connector and was there any cotton wool or balsa inside?
Are you still using the arm tube connectors, or did you bypass them so only two solder joints are used?

Many thanks
Ian

Hi Ian. Sorry for my slow reply, I've been very busy with a number of things and this has taken a back seat for a while.

To be honest, I found the rewire a right pain. Although this was due to me having to insulate the silver wire myself.

I ended up leaving the connector in. Using 0.5mm Mundorf Silver/Gold from the cart to the joint, and then pure silver from there to the phono stage. I did this as the thicker Mundorf stuff was impeding the movement of the arm. The wire now comes straight out the back of the arm, bypassing the poor quality brass rca sockets too.

If you're using nice litz, I'd bypass all the connectors altogether. I just used what I had laying around as I may end up changing arms.

There was indeed balsa in the arm tube. You have to remove the weights and then unscrew the arm assembly. Flip that over and unscrew the arm coupling. You can then remove all the connectors etc.

I have to say that the improvement in sound quality has been dramatic. Just showing how much that original wiring was holding things back. I will experiment adding mass etc after I have constructed my new phono stage, when changes will be better revealed.

Regards, Lee.
Old 23rd November 2008, 02:09 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have to say that the improvement in sound quality has been dramatic. Just showing how much that original wiring was holding things back.
And how did you get to this conclusion? Doing an AB test with several day interval between the original and the tweaked arm?
Did you do recordings of the arm before and after, or did you rely on a phenomenal acoustical memory that you even days or weeks later can unanbigously and without anu doubt can come to the - obviously foregone - conclusions?

Those undocumented statements removed from factual evidence drive me away from anything that has to do with "audio philistery".
Too bad that starts creeping into forums more and more, even into one that sofar had seemed to be more science than voodoo - time to stop participating.

What a crock.
Old 23rd November 2008, 09:13 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audio-kraut

And how did you get to this conclusion? Doing an AB test with several day interval between the original and the tweaked arm?
Did you do recordings of the arm before and after, or did you rely on a phenomenal acoustical memory that you even days or weeks later can unanbigously and without anu doubt can come to the - obviously foregone - conclusions?

Those undocumented statements removed from factual evidence drive me away from anything that has to do with "audio philistery".
Too bad that starts creeping into forums more and more, even into one that sofar had seemed to be more science than voodoo - time to stop participating.

What a crock.
Riiiigghht. Thanks for your helpful and informative post.

It was just my opinion, and we also now know yours.

Lee.

edit: The only measurement equipment I possess are a multimeter and my ears. After the rewire the 2nd peice of equipment is happy. Whether this as you say is just me wanting to believe it's better, who knows? However, I now know all about the construction of my arm, how to set it up better and where I can try some tweaks/mods. And after all that, it was fun.
Old 23rd November 2008, 12:48 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

audio-kraut,when you know your system very well and consistendly has something that you don't like,for example light bass or forward mids,and the only change you do is for example the arm internal wiring,all changes of cource are there because of the new wiring.As Thomo said it is his opinion and he has enjoyed the whole thing.Those who accept cable/wiring differences,leave measurements and proof to those who need them.If the forum wants those who accept differences to stop participating in discussions,they have to tell us.Alternatively,non-believers have the option not to respond to discussions of this kind.And finally,as Thomo and others said,we know your views and you know ours.All have the right of opinion.......I hope.
Old 23rd November 2008, 08:48 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
All have the right of opinion.......I hope.
oh yes, you even can opine that the earth is still flat, the sun rotates around the earth, the earth is the centre of the universe and darwins theory is nothing but.

Opinion is totally removed from evidence.

I did read his statement not as opinion but as matter of fact - my mistake.
Old 23rd November 2008, 09:00 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Old 24th November 2008, 11:50 AM   #28
webby is online now webby  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi all,
A Big thanks to Lee for is advice, i find your comments very helpful and cant believe some people are so dismissive. It took me a while to discover the cable fault in my arm, first i noticed the right hand channel just sounded flat, and the sound stage was uneven. This was intermittent. Then sometimes it would be ok. then it got worse and the right channel stopped working, so in checking all the cables in my system i determined it was the arm tube wires. If we consider the wires are 25 years old, i think a big improvement is very possible!
The new parts are on there way, so i will report back in a few weeks.
All the best
Ian
Old 24th November 2008, 12:05 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

The wires in my arm tube were tied in a very tight knot! I don't believe that was good for the sound either.

Good luck with the rewire. After you're done with that, I recommend you build one of these.

Incredible sound, and far ahead of my opamp based stage in sound quality.

Regards, Lee.
Old 24th November 2008, 12:20 PM   #30
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by webby
If we consider the wires are 25 years old, i think a big improvement is very possible!
I had to replace the wire in an Audio Technica AT1100 arm wand (that I just got swindled out of ) because they were badly oxidised- they had gone completely black! Cardas wire did the trick.

Hide this!Advertise here!