Fix my RIAA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

Just bought an nice small preamp for my recently (back from the basement) installed turntable. Hooked it up to my Arcam and it sounds great :D I've installed a new Ortofon cartridge Link to specs.

The problem however is that on loud recordings (last few years of mostly dance/club and pop records) the pre-amp starts clipping. :smash:

Another minor problem is that the power supply isn't filtered or anything. I've installed a separate fuse group in my house for the stereo, but I can even hear the neighbour's refridgerator turning on with this thing :dodgy:

I've been soldering for almost 20 years now and have a higher degree in Electronics, however actually never did anything with it. I can read schematics and solder it together, but with phrases like 'add another stage' I'm lost :clown:

I would really love to attach my schematic and two pics, but somehow there is a problem with uploading them? Yes, they are <100kb.

So, the question is simple: what must I change to make this this el cheapo preamp fit my system and sound great?

If I can provide more info, just shout.

PS: I know I can buy an expensive phonostage, or create a brandnew one, but the WAF factor plays and important role as well :rolleyes:

Isolation AMp

Hi.
I have a setup in my home where i have an Isolation Transformer. Being in Australia iwe have 240Volt at the mains. I got 2 stepdown transformers (240 to 120 Volt) and use a pair of them to form a balanced 240 Volts bycombining the 120 V outputs from the stepdown trannys) Depending on the current draw of your amp and therefore the watts needed, could you try this with say a 120 to 12 volt transformer. Then connect the 12V out of the first transformer to the 12Volts tapping of the second identical transformer to get 120 Volts isolated out (in other words the second tranny is connected the opposite wayand assuming you are in the USA and that you only want to power the preamp in this way)... I have noticed a big difference in the crud that comes throught the mains.
Of cousre if you arent confident with mains volatges, then dont do it and all the other usual high volt caveats
Nick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.