Is anyone selling a Technics SP-15 recap kit? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2008, 08:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Is anyone selling a Technics SP-15 recap kit?

Mine's working pretty much fine, but when I was in it the other week fixing the cold solder joints on the motor PCB that were making it spin at 100+rpm, I noticed at least one electrolytic cap that was starting to leak, so it looks like some more work is inevitable. I'd definitely be willing to pay a little extra to avoid having to put together my own parts list, order everything, and then figure out where each cap went. I know someone on here or Audiokarma was selling sp-15 recap kits a few years back, anything like this still available? Even the documentation without the actual parts would save a lot of effort (that wouldn't really be fun or teaching me anything new, so I'd be glad to avoid it).

Thanks!
Old 10th November 2008, 04:07 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Try getting ahold of ZeroCool. I know he's done quite a bit of work on the Tech 15's and 25's. He's pretty active on these forums as well.
Old 11th November 2008, 06:07 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Check out www.vinylengine.com (probably the best site for turntable information on the web) - manual might be available there as well as potential leads on parts kits or at least a parts list. (You do have to join, but it is quite painless.. )
Old 11th November 2008, 08:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've got a service manual already, so could just go through that and/or get the component values off of the actual board, I was just looking to save myself the trouble! Thanks, though.

EDIT: it wasn't actually someone from here that offered a kit, I was thinking of Dave Meyers from Overkill audio inc., who announced that he was planning on selling a kit with all the caps and a spare set of transistors back in 2002, but I don't know if he ever ended up selling any. I'll poke around some more.
Old 12th November 2008, 12:38 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well, I emailed him and he does have the parts on hand to make me a recap kit, so problem solved I guess.

Hide this!Advertise here!