System Troubleshoot: Need Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all,

First, my apologies if my question is posted in the wrong place, and if so please direct me to the right one.

Last night I aquired a used Systemdek IIX turntable which appears to be in near new condition, but after mounting my cartridge on it (an Audio Technica OC3), and connecting it to my system, (Dynavector step up transformer, Yamaha RXV1300 receiver, Martin Logan speakers) I find that when I begin to increase the volume a "CHECK SPEAKER CONNECTION" message appears on the receiver, and it shuts itself off. This occurs at a relatively low volume setting, and does not occur at all with any other source selected. I've checked all speaker connections, and they are fine. I've also tried grounding the step up transformer and the turntable (the table has an aftermarket Premiere PIB-1 interface box mounted on the back) to the receiver ground , both separately and together, and this did not solve the problem, Nor did lifting the ground of the receivers AC cord. Before the Systemdek, I had a Yamaha YP-D71 turntable with everything else in the system the same and had no problems. I'm assuming I have a grounding problem or short in the table somewhere or perhaps some sort of DC offset. Does this seem right? Any ideas on how to locate and correct this problem? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as the sound of the table is otherwise promising so far.

Thanks,

Ron

Hi Ron
I think You should get rid of the "Premiere PIB-1 interface box " whatever that is. As You use a transformer step up there is no risk of DC offset problems. The ground connection must be from tt chassis to amp chassis, that is- not connected to step up device at all. Try this and get back if problem still there.

Ingvar

Inqvar,

Thank you for your response. I forgot that transformers don't pass DC! The Premier PIB-1 interface box replaces the stock captive interconnect with a female RCA connection to allow the use of upgraded interconnects. I suspect the addition of this box may have compromised the stock grounding configuration, especially if it was installed/connected incorrectly. I will look into this, and also try your suggestion of using only the stock turntable ground to the amp, and report my results back here.

Thanks again,

Ron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.