Armlift: necessity or luxury?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can an armlift be omitted without the danger of scratching the record when manually lifting / lowering the tone-arm in daily use? Asking because I'm fitting a thorens td160 with an ortofon as212 and the only way to get the armlift working would be rather drastical surgery (cutting into the steel subchassis etcetera). If it wasn't obvious already; I'm new to vinyl :)

Simon

I use a delicate little tangential air bearing arm and its got no arm lift.

It also has no rest so if the needle isnt in the groove i have to replace the stylus guard, every time i change sides!

Personaly, ill be fitting a lift and a rest support :)

But, by no means needed, if i can cue my arm then you can cue a pivoting arm.

My $0.02

I never used to use the cueing lever. Now my Blue Point Special has a lovely, and expensive, after-market stylus and cantilever from Garrott Brothers, and very relieved I was that they could salvage the thing at all after I snapped the original one. I now use the cueing lever.

And I sometimes now find myself in Dave's position, having turned the record over, set the tonearm down, and returned to my chair with a glass of wine, happily listening to the first few bars of...silence? And grumbling got back up to trigger the cueing.

I will say that the cueing lever on my TT (Linn Sondek) works very well, with no drift as the arm descends. On a previous table this was very much a nuisance, and part of the reason why I stopped using the things for a while.

@graeme uk: no armrest? :bigeyes:
Scary.

Regards.

Aengus

I don't use the armlift on my tonearm, but in more than 20 years I have never had any trouble either in scratching a record or in damaging a cartridge while raising or lowering the arm manually. I did try the lift (on a Rega RB-300), but I found that I could place and remove the cartridge more quickly and, in the case of lowering, more accurately by hand. To be sure, it took me a little bit to become completely comfortable doing this. But, once again, I've never had any trouble.

JPO

Re: My $0.02

Aengus said:
I never used to use the cueing lever. Now my Blue Point Special has a lovely, and expensive, after-market stylus and cantilever from Garrott Brothers, and very relieved I was that they could salvage the thing at all after I snapped the original one. I now use the cueing lever.

And I sometimes now find myself in Dave's position, having turned the record over, set the tonearm down, and returned to my chair with a glass of wine, happily listening to the first few bars of...silence? And grumbling got back up to trigger the cueing.

I will say that the cueing lever on my TT (Linn Sondek) works very well, with no drift as the arm descends. On a previous table this was very much a nuisance, and part of the reason why I stopped using the things for a while.

@graeme uk: no armrest? :bigeyes:
Scary.

Regards.

Aengus

I know, its a pain!

slatelenco.jpg

I just havent got round to making one yet :)

hear Ye, hear Ye...old Aengus et al...

good arm lifts/cueing may be one o fthe toughest things to do on a tonearm. So , I prefer none. And not even a little tab to lift the arm by, cause some sound bad.

having said that, one can easily be built . And the "lash up" looks excellent graeme uk

stew

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.